Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable youtube background play (or from other apps)

Hi all,

A few years ago, a feature was introduced to iOS; I don't know exactly when. For some reason, a lot of people seem to like and use this feature a lot, but I just hate it. A lot.

What I mean is this: When you are watching a video, in any app, be it youtube, facebook or safari, this video also appears in the media controls of the control center. This gives the possibility to close the app, and continue to play the video from there, for example to listen to a song on youtube without the need to have the app open. Yeah, Amazing. Why on earth do you need that? When you want to listen to the song, just buy it on iTunes, or download it.

Because for me, this feature brings a whole lot of disadvantages. The problem is, even when this video is over, it stays in the media controls. Even worse, you cannot start it anymore after a few hours, but it's still there. It just says "Youtube" above the play button, but pressing it doesn't do anything. The consequence of this is simple: When I plug in my headphones, I cannot simply open the control center and start my music. Because it says "Youtube" and nothing happens when I press play. I now have to open the music app and start the music from there.

Some people might say now: Well, are you that lazy? I'm not lazy, I just think if the media controls in the control center are rendered unusable half the time, then why are they even there?

And another example, which ***** much more: I have a charging station/radio alarm clock where I plug in my iPhone every night, and I use it as an alarm to get up in the morning. The cool feature is, that it just plays the music on your iPhone/iPod. I prefer that a lot to the radio. BUT when I watched a video the day before, and in the control center it still says "Youtube", the music does not play, because the charging dock can't find it. So instead it wakes me up with a horrible beeping sound. Just because of bad engineering at Apple's side.

TL;DR: Is there a possibility to disable the youtube/other apps background playing in the control center? If not, I will send this as a suggestion to Apple.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any answers,

Jerry

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 4:53 AM

1 reply

Disable youtube background play (or from other apps)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.