Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 on MBP 2009?

I run Boot Camp / Windows 7 Professional on a MacBook Pro mid 2009. As I have upgraded it with 8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD this is by far the best Windows PC I've ever had.

So my Windows license would make me eligible for an update to Windows 10. However, MBP mid 2009 is only supporting the installation of Windows 7 through Boot Camp. My question is, if an update from W7 to W10 was - how to say this - a "Windows internal" thing? So more like installing updates through Windows Control Center? 😕

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 6:24 AM

16 replies

Jun 3, 2015 7:36 AM in response to Nooneremembers

I got my imac with lion

I installed windows 7 in bootcamp

I upgraded lion to mtn lion

I upgrade the same windows install to 8

I tried using the drivers windows wanted to use for my video card and that did not work it crashed all over the place

I went back to the bootcamp official win7 drivers and 2 or of 3 boot into windows would give fatal bluescreen crash

apple began official support for win 8 in bootcamp and I installed the video card driver and all was well

I upgraded mtn lion to maverics

I upgraded win8 to win8.1 and was back to 2 out of 3 boot crashing

apple began official support for win 8.1 in bootcamp and I installed the video card drivers and all was well

my exp say bootcamp drivers are pretty important

my exp say in reply to your question maybe

Jun 3, 2015 3:24 PM in response to Nooneremembers

I'm interested in upgraded to windows 10. I have a mid 2009 13" MBP. I have the windows 10 upgrade notification on my computer. I would love to just be able to accept the upgrade and let it do its thing, but I definitely feel like it's not the best idea, being windown 7 running through bootcamp 4.0.

Any suggestions? has anyone tried letting the update go through on it's own through windows?

Aug 18, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Nooneremembers

Just want to share my experience so far. I got my notification that the upgraded was downloaded about 2 weeks ago. I had planned to find the hidden upgrade file and convert it to an ISO file to do a clean install from. Unfortunately, after a long weekend, 2 weekends ago, canoeing and camping; the update decided to install itself. So fast forward a few days after the canoe trip weekend and I come into my office at home to check some things on my computer. BAM.. It's running Windows 10!.

At first, I was pretty frantic that my computer was going to be messed up and I was going to have to redo my windows partition etc. Fortunately, that has not been the case. My computer only need a few restarts to finalize some updates after the upgrade. It's running as good, if not better, than before. My only quirk, so far, is my function keys on my laptop keyboard are not working. It's not a big deal to me as I always use a wireless keyboard and mouse anyways. Also, my password keeping software won't load up properly without right clicking and running as administrator. Other then that, it's been problem free as of now.

So far, I'm actually really enjoying Windows 10. Cortana is decently useful. There's a good mix of window's 7, and 10 for me. I was ok with windows 8, but never liked it enough to upgrade. Microsoft's Edge browser is pretty nice also, although I still prefer google chrome.

Here a quick pic I snapped to show my discovery the night I found my computer upgraded itself.

User uploaded file

I hope everyone else has as good of an experience as I have so far. As always, make sure you back up everything, multiple places if you can. Otherwise, here's to not feeling completely left out by apple not supporting the mid 2009 13" MBP's with bootcamp 5!

Windows 10 on MBP 2009?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.