Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low latency mode pref ignored by logic X

On logic X, I have low latency mode enabled in my prefs.

But ever time I open a project I must manually enable LLM again.

The pref is being ignored.

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 5:25 AM

10 replies

Jun 3, 2015 8:44 AM in response to sd6

That's normal behavior, you don't want Low Latency Mode on all the time, it's a specialized function.

This is from the Logic-9 manual which is a much better manual than Logic-X's manual, notice the last two sentences in bold.

WORKING IN LOW LATENCY MODE:

Low Latency mode allows you to limit the maximum delay time caused by plug-ins. Plug-ins will be bypassed to ensure that the maximum delay that can occur across the entire signal flow (of the current track) remains under the chosen value. The Low Latency mode is extremely useful when you need to play a software instrument (or to monitor through an audio channel) when plug-ins with high latencies are already in use—at any point in the signal flow for the selected track/channel.

To activate Low Latency mode

Do one of the following:

• Click the Low Latency Mode button in the Transport bar.
  • Select the Low Latency Mode checkbox in the General Audio preferences pane (Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > General).This limits the latency generated by plug-ins to the value set with the Limit slider. Plug-ins will be bypassed, ensuring that the maximum delay that can occur across the entire signal flow (of the current track’s signal path) remains under the Limit slider value.
    • Bypassed plug-ins may be on the selected track, any auxes in the signal path, or even output channels.
    • Plug-ins with the highest latencies are bypassed first.
Note: The sound may change in Low Latency mode. Depending on the plug-ins in use, the changes can be anything from subtle to dramatic. If plug-ins being used do not exceed the total latency limit, there will be no audible difference.

Jun 3, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Pancenter

All I know is when I record new tracks into a project with low latency mode disabled, the new audio is not synced with the older tracks. When I enable it, the new audio is synced correctly.

And why make it a pref only to ignore it?

Guess I'll have to break out my old Mac with logic 9 on it and compare settings. the new system and logic X is a pain because of the audio sync issues and the prefs being ignored.

Jun 3, 2015 10:32 AM in response to sd6

sd6 wrote:

All I know is when I record new tracks into a project with low latency mode disabled, the new audio is not synced with the older tracks. When I enable it, the new audio is synced correctly.

That has nothing to do with Low Latency Mode, that has to do with your Plugin Latency Compensation setting, which is a pref, and which you should generally keep at the "All" setting.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.1/#/lgcpe11997ba

All that LLM does is to bypass plugins that add (too much) latency, and bypass bus routing. LLM is in fact a function that is purely meant as a temporary workaround for recording in a project that already has latency inducing plugins (most of which are ideally to be added after recording is done, since they are mixing plugins, not recording plugins). It is NOT a mode to use when mixing, only when recording. It should be turned off after recording is done.

Having said all that, LLM should be retained as a project setting, so it should stay on (or off) in the same project.

I'll give it a quick test on one of my own projects.

......aaand: it stays enabled within the same project (open, turned LLM on, saved, closed, reopened, LLM still on as it's supposed to).

sd6 wrote:

And why make it a pref only to ignore it?

Guess I'll have to break out my old Mac with logic 9 on it and compare settings. the new system and logic X is a pain because of the audio sync issues and the prefs being ignored.

It is not a pref, it is a project setting. Saving a project with LLM on does NOT mean all other projects should now open with LLM on too (that is how it would be if it were a pref).

In fact, this system is the same in LP 9 and in LP X.

Jun 3, 2015 11:02 AM in response to Eriksimon

Eriksimon wrote:

It is not a pref, it is a project setting. Saving a project with LLM on does NOT mean all other projects should now open with LLM on too (that is how it would be if it were a pref).

In fact, this system is the same in LP 9 and in LP X.

That last paragraph is incorrect. It is a pref. The fact that I feel it should be a project setting, is not relevant.

Jun 3, 2015 6:49 PM in response to sd6

sd6

FYI you can "customize the control bar and display" by right clicking in the grey area to the right of the LCD panel and then check Low Latency Mode. This will show a LLM icon to make it easy to select LLM on/off. You just need to remember to turn on when recording and then turn off while listening. For me just the easiest way to do it. No need to go into Preferences. If you haven't used the contextual "customize" before, there are all kinds of shortcut buttons you can add or remove from here.

Hope this helps, Greg

Low latency mode pref ignored by logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.