Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create audio visuals on a Mac

On Windows I used to be able to make slideshows with photos and music on ProShow Producer or Pictures to exe (PTE) but none of these have Mac versions.

How can I do the same thing on Mac? I have googled a lot and there are longwinded solutions, but I am looking for an elegant solution, a single software programme.

Or will ProShow Producer or PTE soon be available in Mac versions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.0.x), OS X 10.9.5 -

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 7:30 AM

Photos or iPhoto, or iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoToMovie $49.95

PulpMotion $129

FotoMagico $99

Final Cut Pro X $299

This is a non-exhaustive list and all are, well, elegant...

It's difficult to compare them more seriously. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

You'd need to ask the makers...

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Lucky bird

Photos or iPhoto, or iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoToMovie $49.95

PulpMotion $129

FotoMagico $99

Final Cut Pro X $299

This is a non-exhaustive list and all are, well, elegant...

It's difficult to compare them more seriously. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

You'd need to ask the makers...

Jun 3, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you, Terence. I will indeed explore Final Cut Pro X. I looked at iMovie and iDVD, but it seems the emphasis is on video, moreso than on images in both cases. iDVD is not very positive about handling big projects either...

Have you perhaps worked with any of the mentioned software products in Windows, eg ProShow producer or PTE to tell me how it relates to Final Cut Pro X

Jun 3, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Lucky bird

I looked at iMovie and iDVD, but it seems the emphasis is on video, moreso than on images in both cases. iDVD is not very positive about handling big projects either...

You can easily import multiple still images into iMovie, add transitions and music (if desired) and create a video/movie file of the result. Or create a slideshow of stills in iPhoto and then access it from iMovie:

User uploaded file

Or you can create the slideshow entirely in iPhoto from stills and export out as a Quicktime movie file.

iDVD will work well with stills except there's a limit of 99 slides per slideshow. But it is capable of producing very professional looking video DVDs.

User uploaded file

Jun 3, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OT. The 99 slides per slideshow limit of iDVD is a definite problem for me.

Will iMovie allow me to deviate from the "fit music to images" so that I can manually fit images to music as I please? I looks like I will have to explore a bit more still.

In the mean time I had a detailed look at Photo to Movie (Terence's recommendation) and it reminds a lot of ProShow Producer.

You have both been very helpful, thank you. I was at the stage where I started hating ever buying a Mac! But I love it and can't go back to Windows!

Jun 3, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Lucky bird

Will iMovie allow me to deviate from the "fit music to images" so that I can manually fit images to music as I please? I looks like I will have to explore a bit more still.

I believe so but you should ask that question in the iMovie for Mac forum.

I have an external HD that has Mavericks installed so I can run iMovie 6 HD. It's the best version for adding multiple tracks to a slideshow and fitting the music to selected slides.

User uploaded file

If you can find an iLife 6 disc and can get a volume to boot into Mavericks or earlier you'll you able to make some very precise movie projects. After iMovie 6 HD Apple dumbed down iMovie and, in my opinion, ruined it. I don't sue the new iMovie version but one may be able to add music like you'd like. Just ask in the iMovie forum.

How to create audio visuals on a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.