Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X - separating Stereo to Mono problem

Hello,

I'm sorry at the beginning if stupid question, but I really couldn't find the answer in google, I've just wasted 2 hours to find it. No results.

The problem is:

In Audio Bin when I select Copy/Convert File(s), and then chose "Interleaved to split" and check "add resulting files to Audio Project" actually it creates 3 files in the Finder: stereo file, Left channel file and Right channel file. In my opinion it's stupid because I don't want one more stereo file, I just want to separate channels files.

Ok but I can live with that, but the main problem is Logic imports to my Audio Bin only that one new Stereo File and it's totally stupid, now I have in my Audio Bin 2 identical stereo files, and when I try to drag the separated files from Finder to Audio Bin it doesn't work. I also can't find option (which was in Logic Pro 9) to "disconnect split stereo file".

I'm believe Logic is not stupid, and I'm just acting stupid, but don't know how to do what I want. Of course I know that I can Bounce just one channel, and then Bounce second channel, or eve just by once Bounce with option /interleaved to split. But all of this is too complicated. I just want separate existing stereo file to two mono (left and right) files.

At the end sorry for my English language, I'm still learning 🙂

Best Regards

Logic Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 12:39 PM

The whole topic of split audio files and interleaved audio files is very complex the way how Logic handles it. There are a few basic rules you have to be aware of in Logic.On top of that the rules have changed between L9 and LPX.

Importing Split Stereo File:

Logic always combines Split Stereo FIles to an Interleaved Stereo File when you import it. So when you export to split mono files (you see them in the Finder), Logic will import them (when set the checkbox do to so). But, at that point, it will combine those split files into a new interleaved file, saves it to your drive and imports that interleaved file into Logic (which beats the purpose if you have it already there in the first place).

The only way to avoid that automatic interleave file creation is to delete the channel extension in the file name which tells Logic which files belong together (audio.L.aif , audio.R.aif ➤rename to ➤ audioLeftChannel.aif, audioRightChannel.aif)).

Split interleaved files during import.

Splitting up an interleaved audio file to its individual channels as split mono files during the import is only possible under one circumstance (that I found so far). It depends on the format of the interleaved audio file. If it is formatted as a stereo format or any surround format, then it will import as that one interleaved audio file. If the file format is a multi-channel mono file format, then all the individual channels will import as individual mono files (a dialog window lets you choose which tracks to use).

User uploaded file

You might also check out this Apple Support Page. However, I couldn't verify some of that information on that page (needs further research into that complex topic):

Logic Pro X: Importing split stereo audio files - Apple Support

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 12:39 PM in response to pajczukin

The whole topic of split audio files and interleaved audio files is very complex the way how Logic handles it. There are a few basic rules you have to be aware of in Logic.On top of that the rules have changed between L9 and LPX.

Importing Split Stereo File:

Logic always combines Split Stereo FIles to an Interleaved Stereo File when you import it. So when you export to split mono files (you see them in the Finder), Logic will import them (when set the checkbox do to so). But, at that point, it will combine those split files into a new interleaved file, saves it to your drive and imports that interleaved file into Logic (which beats the purpose if you have it already there in the first place).

The only way to avoid that automatic interleave file creation is to delete the channel extension in the file name which tells Logic which files belong together (audio.L.aif , audio.R.aif ➤rename to ➤ audioLeftChannel.aif, audioRightChannel.aif)).

Split interleaved files during import.

Splitting up an interleaved audio file to its individual channels as split mono files during the import is only possible under one circumstance (that I found so far). It depends on the format of the interleaved audio file. If it is formatted as a stereo format or any surround format, then it will import as that one interleaved audio file. If the file format is a multi-channel mono file format, then all the individual channels will import as individual mono files (a dialog window lets you choose which tracks to use).

User uploaded file

You might also check out this Apple Support Page. However, I couldn't verify some of that information on that page (needs further research into that complex topic):

Logic Pro X: Importing split stereo audio files - Apple Support

Hope that helps

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jun 4, 2015 10:19 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hello,

Thank you very much for your objective reply. Your Answer is helpful, but only because you've affirmed me in the conviction that converting and importing stereo files in Login Pro X works in strange way. Like you told: ...which beats the purpose if you have it already there in the first place....

So I'm not sure if I should tag your answer as "Correct Answer", because it doesn't solve that strange behaviour of Logic Pro X.

I know that I can import one of that split mono file after rename it (remove .L or .R prefix), but it's very complicated way, especially because when I have opened project I can't change the name of audio file because it's in use. Or actually it behaves more strange: if I rename that mono audio file in Finder, there nothing happens, still old name exist, and after I close the project the name of that file is changed automatically to the new one.

The instruction which you sent me: Logic Pro X: Importing split stereo audio files - Apple Support

doesn't work. There are 4 options for my situation:

• Drag the audio file directly into the Tracks area from the Finder. - It just doesn't work. Although I drag mono file to mono Track area it automatically changes Track to stereo, joins both two mono files (although I don’t touch the second one) to one new stereo and import it to Audio Bin
  • Add the audio file to an Audio track in the Tracks area by clicking with the Pencil tool. - Doesn’t work for me because I use Project file as Package (not Folder) so when I click with pencil it opens window where I can’t go deep inside Package Logicx file. Maybe it would work if I save split mono files in another area but it would make mess on my drive and in my brain.
  • Drag the audio file into the Project Audio window from the Finder.
  • Drag the audio file into the Browsers > Project Audio tab from the Finder.

Last two options just doesn’t work. Still joins mono files to new one stereo file.

And last thing: You told about some file formats 7 Channels formatted (6.1) and 7 Channels unformatted. But how to check what format my file is? In other words: How do you open that Inspector window which you showed on your screenshots. And how to execute desired format during Copy/Convert File?

Again thank you very much for your exhaustive answer.

Best Regards

Jun 4, 2015 2:27 PM in response to pajczukin

Sorry I forgot to mention. The screenshots are from the QuickTime Player app v7.6. It is the old app not the new QucikTime Player v10 (which was pretty much crippled regarding the available features). If open the app and choose cmd+I (Show Movie Inspector), you will see the formatting details about the media file.

About the Apple's Support document, I mentioned that I couldn't verify all the steps either. So a lot of functionality still remains in the mystery/bug territory

One more thing. You mention that you cannot rename the audio file once it is in use in Logic. Actually, you can. Just rename the file (the line with the disclosure triangle) in the Project Audio Browser.

User uploaded file

Jun 4, 2015 2:49 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi,

thank you for your reply, you are right that I can change the name of file in Project Audio Browser, but how can I change the name of split mono files (.L and .R) if those files are never exist in Project Audio Browser? The point is to change name of the mono file to by allowed to import it to library separately. So it doesn't make a sense to change name of stereo file, I don't need it. I need to import mono file (one of the stereo channel).

Actually I don't even want to import it, I just want to make two mono files from one stereo and keep it in Project Audio Browser. It's just simple. It's unbelievable, so professional software like Logic Pro X can't do such simple thing.

I'm not professional so I can't change the platform anytime something is wrong. But I see that Pro Tools has not problem with stereo files. In pro tools I just can put Stereo files on stereo channel track and it looks like two independent tracks that I can put the EQ, Comp, or any other effect separately on both channels. I've seen it on the youtube. It seems to be obvious. I can't understand why Logic can't make the same obvious solutions.

Best Regards

Jun 5, 2015 9:17 AM in response to pajczukin

I think the way how Logic treats stereo files is not a limitation but a decision made on purpose how to treat stereo files. The PorTOols style was kind of possible with earlier Logic versions.

The purpose of a stereo file is that it is a "unit". Most of the time you want to keep the "integrity" of both channels. The convenience of treating it as one Audio File/Region when editing and processing outweighs the rather rare instances where you have to treat the left and right channel separately. For that you have to split the file, and yes, it is a little bit (too) cumbersome in Logic.

Out of that decision, Logic automatically merges split stereo files (with the specific channel extension in the file name) into interleaved stereo files when importing.

VERY IMPORTANT

Whenever you use the bounce or convert command and use the "Split" option, you have to disable the checkbox that automatically imports the new files back to your Project. When that option is enabled, then Logic automatically merges split stereo files, which imports a new interleaved file AND NOT the split files. Unfortunately, yin an extra step, you have to import the split files manually (if you need them in your project), removing the channel indicator from the file name. Please note, that even if you import only one of the slit stereo files, Logic is "smart" enough to recognize the other split file and imports both as an interleaved file.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Logic Pro X - separating Stereo to Mono problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.