Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand Update

Hello everyone

I am on a Mac running OSX Yosemite and when I open GarageBand, it says there is an update available.

However, when I click on it, it sends me to the App Store and instead of being able to download it for free, it says I haven't bought the app yet and I would have to pay for it.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 6:17 AM

Which version of GarageBand are you currently running?

If you are currently running GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5, you are having the last free update installed. GarageBand 10.0.3 is a new release and requires a purchase to upgrade to this new application. It will only come for free with a new Mac.

Before you decide to buy GarageBand 10, look at the Help page (GarageBand 10.0 Help online Learn how to use GarageBand with this online resource.), to make up your mind, if you will like it. It is very different from GarageBand '11. Some features are no longer supported. There is no longer a podcast track, there are no more Sound Effect instruments, that you can customize with samples, the movie track is more difficult to use, the vocal tracks have less features.

On the other hand you now have the midi draw area, you have smart instruments, like automatic drummers or arpeggiators, smart strings.

If you upgrade to GarageBand 10, don't uninstall GarageBand '11. It is hard to get back, and you may want to be able to use the GarageBAnd '11 instruments in GarageBand 10.0.

Both versions can coexist.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 6:17 AM in response to jomy10

Which version of GarageBand are you currently running?

If you are currently running GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5, you are having the last free update installed. GarageBand 10.0.3 is a new release and requires a purchase to upgrade to this new application. It will only come for free with a new Mac.

Before you decide to buy GarageBand 10, look at the Help page (GarageBand 10.0 Help online Learn how to use GarageBand with this online resource.), to make up your mind, if you will like it. It is very different from GarageBand '11. Some features are no longer supported. There is no longer a podcast track, there are no more Sound Effect instruments, that you can customize with samples, the movie track is more difficult to use, the vocal tracks have less features.

On the other hand you now have the midi draw area, you have smart instruments, like automatic drummers or arpeggiators, smart strings.

If you upgrade to GarageBand 10, don't uninstall GarageBand '11. It is hard to get back, and you may want to be able to use the GarageBAnd '11 instruments in GarageBand 10.0.

Both versions can coexist.

GarageBand Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.