Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save xlsx with numbers by default?

Hey Community,

I am looking for a way to save my workbooks with Numbers 3.5.3 on 10.10.3 as Excel Files by default! Do you have any ideas how I could manage that? I want to avoid the way via Export To - Excel.. and use cmd+S instead.

Thanks in advance!

Jan

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 7:09 AM

Numbers can not save in xlsx format, it requires an export so the answer has to be a no

2 replies

Jun 3, 2015 9:06 AM in response to jan1992

If you can live with a keyboard shortcut other than cmd+s you can use the script here and attach it to a keyboard shortcut by putting it in an Automator Service or using FastScripts or Alfred or whatever.

Note that the structure of the Numbers document is changed during the export. When opened in Excel each Numbers table gets its own sheet.

If you are collaborating with people using Excel and have a lot of back-and-forth you're likely to be better off using Excel. If you just need to share Numbers documents with Excel users occasionally, the export works pretty well.

SG

Save xlsx with numbers by default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.