Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Books library in iTunes finally disabled by Apple?

Hello,

Since Apple introduce iBooks for mac, it has been a disaster for many users, no library management, editing capabilities, etc. Though limited features have been added, most of us still rely on disabling iBooks to let iTunes manage the library of books.

The way that I disabled iBooks and allowed my books to be managed by iTunes was by doing the following:

To disable iBooks go to the Applications folder and Right-Click on iBooks select Show Package Contents and rename the Contents folder to old.Contents then Restart your Mac

Basically that stopped working on the latest version of iTunes in Yosemite. I'm running iTunes 12.1.2.27 which basically disables all Books and only allows audiobooks. My iBooks application is still disabled, and before re-enabling it, I wanted to know if I was the only one who was experiencing this problem with the latest version of iTunes.

Thanks,

Nick

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 5:26 AM

3 replies

Jun 15, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Nicolas Online

I have the same issue, I had over 700 books and magazines downloaded from other vendors and since moving to an MBP running Yosemite the whole lot are gone! luckily for me I set up my iPad so it doesn't automatically sync with iTunes so still have some left, but i'm still hundreds of pounds out of pocket as ibooks for mac didn't copy them to its folder as it said it was doing and just deleted everything not purchased via iTunes.

Now I daren't sync my iPad mini as I can only read books on it, nothing else (i'm severely disabled), to say i'm gutted is an understatement!

Jul 1, 2015 6:00 PM in response to Nicolas Online

Simply renaming the iBooks app doesn't solve the issue. There's a service that runs (and restores itself if deleted) whenever you start iTunes. This service intercepts all calls and redirects them to iBooks.

You need to perform a few more steps to prevent this from happening. There are several threads describing how to switch back from iBooks in this forum. The one that I've personally been involved with is this one:

How to undo an iBooks conversion and revert back to iTunes

I can personally vouch for that procedure working with the latest OS X 10.10.4 update and iTunes 12.2.

Steven

Books library in iTunes finally disabled by Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.