Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac browser warning on Chrome toolbar - it's a scam. How do I erase it?

I downloaded Chrome so that I could access Netflix. With it, came a "mac browser warning" in the toolbar which, when the cursor passes over it, freezes the computer and creates pop-ups galore that tell of dire straights unless you call a telephone number. I know it is a scam, because it happened once on another browser. I called, and the person (representing Microsoft supposedly) I talked with wanted all kinds of information in order to get rid of my supposed virus. I said, "no thanks," and told him I had to do more research, and when I did, I discovered that the website was fake, and there were all kinds of horror stories of people who gave them information and then had to pay a ransom to get back information taken from their computer.

My question is, how to get rid of this link on my toolbar without touching it? Once it is touched, the only way to get out of chrome is to force quit.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 6:22 AM

8 replies

Jun 4, 2015 4:53 AM in response to MaevefromBurkeCounty

Sounds like you have some kind of adware installed in Chrome that is, in turn, displaying tech support scam pop-ups.

In Chrome, choose Extensions from the Window menu. What extensions do you see listed there? Try disabling them and see if that eliminates the toolbar. If you discover which toolbar is the cause, please post back here with details before deleting it.

Jun 4, 2015 5:20 AM in response to thunderzzz

I downloaded adwaremedic. At first I got a message that it couldn't be opened because an application couldn't be found. then, I tried it again and it did open and I put it in my applications folder. Is there something I need to do to run it or does it run automatically?

I also reset the settings as you described. The warning is still in the toolbar.

Jun 4, 2015 8:17 AM in response to MaevefromBurkeCounty

MaevefromBurkeCounty wrote:

Is there something I need to do to run it or does it run automatically?

You would need to open it, then click the button with the magnifying glass icon next to the text "Scan for Adware".

That "soavE keoep" extension is known adware. However, it looks like it's a new variant that AdwareMedic won't remove. For now, disable (but don't delete) that extension in Chrome, then contact me privately here:

http://www.thesafemac.com/contact/

I'd like to get a copy of that extension, if you're willing. In addition, if you send me a system snapshot taken with AdwareMedic (choose Take System Snapshot from the Scanner menu in the menu bar), I can look for anything else new that might be installed elsewhere associated with this adware.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

mac browser warning on Chrome toolbar - it's a scam. How do I erase it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.