Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud photo library is turned on.

I am trying to help out two friends. Both have an iPhone 6, and have backed up their iPhones to their computers in the past using iTunes. Both would like to start using iCloud for backing up their photos. When they go to switch this option on, they get the message, "Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud photo library is turned on. ___ photos will be removed." Obviously, they do not want to lose any if their pictures.

Is there a way that we can somehow save those photos already synced? Do I need to go onto their computers and install iCloud and transfer their photos from iTunes to iCloud?

Please help!

iPhone 6

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:17 AM

Normally, the originals of photos synced from the computer the phone would still be on the computer. If that is the case, then letting them be deleted from the phone won't hurt anything when you turn on iCloud Photo Library because all of the photos on the computer will be sent to iCloud and to the phone (i.e., they would be deleted from the phone and then put right back on with all of the other photos on the computer).

If they previously synced photos from the computer to the phone and then deleted the photos from the computer (i.e., if the only copy is on the phone) then they will need to use a 3rd party utility to recover the photos from the phone before turning on iCloud Photo Library. Doing that would be a good idea in any event if they value the photos since the only copy is on the phone and photos synced to the phone via iTunes are not included in the phone backup (again due to the assumption that the originals are still on the computer. One utility that will retrieve synced photos is https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/features/features_photo.php

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 8:17 AM in response to limitlesslac

Normally, the originals of photos synced from the computer the phone would still be on the computer. If that is the case, then letting them be deleted from the phone won't hurt anything when you turn on iCloud Photo Library because all of the photos on the computer will be sent to iCloud and to the phone (i.e., they would be deleted from the phone and then put right back on with all of the other photos on the computer).

If they previously synced photos from the computer to the phone and then deleted the photos from the computer (i.e., if the only copy is on the phone) then they will need to use a 3rd party utility to recover the photos from the phone before turning on iCloud Photo Library. Doing that would be a good idea in any event if they value the photos since the only copy is on the phone and photos synced to the phone via iTunes are not included in the phone backup (again due to the assumption that the originals are still on the computer. One utility that will retrieve synced photos is https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/features/features_photo.php

Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud photo library is turned on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.