Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iTunes install won't point to my media drive

I have a fresh install of the latest iTunes after upgrading to Windows 7 64bit. I keep my music on an external drive. I have changed the apple library in advanced preferences to the drive location. I tunes will not scan/recognize/search that new library location. Any help? I am not familiar with this new iTunes as of yet.

Thank you.

null-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 10:21 AM

Did you preserve your profile folder from the old computer? There are two main parts to an iTunes library, the media folder itself, and the database that records what content is in the library. I'm guessing you had created a split library, moving the media out to the external drive, but leaving the library files in the default location of User's Music\iTunes on the main hard drive. If you can recover this folder we can talk about how to link the two things back together properly, otherwise you will need to rebuild your library. If this needs to be done I suggest you take a look at my tip Make a split library portable and create your new library at X:\iTunes (where X: is the drive letter of the external) then move the media folder inside as X:\iTunes\iTunes Media before importing the media. If you have any Apple devices then see also Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for tips on configuring the devices with a new library. There are links to scripts that can retrieve ratings, play counts, and playlists.

If on the other hand you had copied the whole library out to the external drive, then shift-start iTunes, click choose, and locate the .itl file on the external drive. Changing the media folder doesn't achieve the same ends.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 10:21 AM in response to dspinder

Did you preserve your profile folder from the old computer? There are two main parts to an iTunes library, the media folder itself, and the database that records what content is in the library. I'm guessing you had created a split library, moving the media out to the external drive, but leaving the library files in the default location of User's Music\iTunes on the main hard drive. If you can recover this folder we can talk about how to link the two things back together properly, otherwise you will need to rebuild your library. If this needs to be done I suggest you take a look at my tip Make a split library portable and create your new library at X:\iTunes (where X: is the drive letter of the external) then move the media folder inside as X:\iTunes\iTunes Media before importing the media. If you have any Apple devices then see also Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for tips on configuring the devices with a new library. There are links to scripts that can retrieve ratings, play counts, and playlists.

If on the other hand you had copied the whole library out to the external drive, then shift-start iTunes, click choose, and locate the .itl file on the external drive. Changing the media folder doesn't achieve the same ends.

tt2

Jun 3, 2015 1:49 PM in response to turingtest2

Great article. I moved my iTunes folder to the media drive successfully. All of my purchased material shows up and is working. Now how do I import 120GB of music that is in a folder d:\lossy with d:\ being the media? I have previously pointed iTunes to the lossy folder as that is where I keep music which I play on iTunes but can't seem to do that.

New iTunes install won't point to my media drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.