Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and paste between transitions

I can't seem to be able to copy and paste from one transition to another. For example, I open a copy of the Divide dissolve into Motion. The frame rate and duration isn't right, so I'd like to make a custom transition based on it. I make a new transition from the browser in the correct frame rate and duration. In the new transition I can't delete the existing group or the two drop zones in the group, I can only switch them off. If I copy from the Divide transition I opened from FCP, and paste into the new transition, I don't get the drop zones. Is there any why to make transitions that are duration specific uses existing transitions from FCP?

Thanks very much.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mid 2012 2.6G i7

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 4:32 PM

Hi Tom!

I've just tested this method... hope it works for you as well. I recommend using TextWrangler for this (it's free here: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/ — install it if you don't have it...)

If Divide is open in Motion, close it.

Find the Divide copy .motr file in the Finder. Right click and Open with > TextWrangler. Type Command-F to open the Find window. Type "<scene" and click Next. About 6 lines down from that will be <frameRate>#</frameRate>

To change to 30 FPS, type 30 in place of the 60 that is there. One line down, change the <NTSC> value to 0. For 29.97, leave it at 1.

Save.

Open in Motion, click on the Project "layer" > Properties and check to see if the frame rate has been changed.

If you need a different frame rate than 29.97/30, create a new project in Motion with the frame rate you want, save the blank project and open it in TextWrangler and see how the <frameRate> / <NTSC> settings are set -- change the Divide settings to the same.

HTH

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2015 4:32 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom!

I've just tested this method... hope it works for you as well. I recommend using TextWrangler for this (it's free here: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/ — install it if you don't have it...)

If Divide is open in Motion, close it.

Find the Divide copy .motr file in the Finder. Right click and Open with > TextWrangler. Type Command-F to open the Find window. Type "<scene" and click Next. About 6 lines down from that will be <frameRate>#</frameRate>

To change to 30 FPS, type 30 in place of the 60 that is there. One line down, change the <NTSC> value to 0. For 29.97, leave it at 1.

Save.

Open in Motion, click on the Project "layer" > Properties and check to see if the frame rate has been changed.

If you need a different frame rate than 29.97/30, create a new project in Motion with the frame rate you want, save the blank project and open it in TextWrangler and see how the <frameRate> / <NTSC> settings are set -- change the Divide settings to the same.

HTH

Jun 4, 2015 7:03 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Glad to help! But I can't take all the credit. I got the idea from DIDAVA about a year ago when he discovered he could go into the Motion project file and edit the XML to add an FCPX Effect placeholder to a generic Project (Re: Is there any way to convert Dropzone to Final Cut Placeholder?)

I really don't know what made me think of it. I started out with a long explanation of, let's just say: another way to deal with the problem (which would definitely not been worth the trouble!) I had a minor "wait a minute" moment and decided to try it out. The reason I go with TextWrangler is because it's almost like Terminal — it doesn't alter a file's "format" when you save back to it, and it's a lot easier to use. It's a technique that opens up a lot of doors for sure.

Copy and paste between transitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.