Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi network directs to a page reading 'Success' but then proceeds to say the network isn't connected to the internet

I'm on iOS 8.3, and trying to log into my work Wi-Fi network which has historically given me problems, but this one is new. Normally, when connecting to it, I'm prompted for a username and password before being able to connect, which usually works. However, now when i try to connect, I'm directed to a page that first reads captive.apple.com, then it opens a page reading only 'Success', with only an option to select 'Cancel' at the top. Upon doing so, my phone tells me that the Wi-Fi network isn't connected to the internet (doesn't sound like Success to me, eh?) and I can either use the network without the internet or select another network from there. I've tried a lot, but if anyone else has any new ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:57 AM

What exactly have you tried? Give us as many details as you can.

Do you have other devices connected to this network? Do they connect normally? If the answer is negative, you may try setting up your router from scratch.

If other devices connect normally, you can try resetting the network settings on your phone. Take a look at the instructions below.

Try to reset your network settings.

Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 8:57 AM in response to mattswagger

What exactly have you tried? Give us as many details as you can.

Do you have other devices connected to this network? Do they connect normally? If the answer is negative, you may try setting up your router from scratch.

If other devices connect normally, you can try resetting the network settings on your phone. Take a look at the instructions below.

Try to reset your network settings.

Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Jun 3, 2015 10:30 AM in response to D.Cohen

Thanks -- I do know that others' phones are able to connect to the network normally. I have tried to turn wifi on/off, turn my phone on/off, forget the network, connect to anothet network then back to this one, and the result is the same. I have heard of resetting the network settings, but I have tried to steer clear of that unless I absolutely have to so that I don't lose every wifi network that my phone 'remembers'

Jun 3, 2015 10:34 AM in response to mattswagger

Most likely the network is denying you access. captive.apple.com is a test site; if the phone cannot connect to it your network will redirect to a local login site. It does that so you don't have to separately open a browser for networks that require a login page. Check with your network administrator; it may be a temporary glitch, or they may have singled you out.

Jun 3, 2015 11:58 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have talked to IT here at work and they submitted a case, only offered to me to turn Wi-Fi off and back on and the same for my phone. Other devices from other workers are connecting normally, so it is probably something with my device. But I have tried everything I can think of short of resetting my phone/resetting my network settings

Jun 3, 2015 2:07 PM in response to mattswagger

I was contacted back by IT after submitting a case. They took my IP address to monitor my status, and had me type '1.1.1.1' in the address bar (not sure if this could only be done under their monitoring or if I could've done that all along) and that ended up taking me to the regular login page for the network as I was used to. That allowed me in. Also, the IT guy said it was only a temporary fix and that they would work on preventing my situation from happening, so I hope I'm good. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help

Wi-Fi network directs to a page reading 'Success' but then proceeds to say the network isn't connected to the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.