Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password and file access problems after replacing server HD

Had 2 different types of issues after replacing a defective hard drive on our 10.9.5 MacMini server. [The server HD was bad. We put in a new one and used Time Machine to restore the contents. ]

Now, I can't reset password of create new users. When I try to reset a password, the dialogue box "blinks" but stays there. If the user tries to log in with [presumably] their old password, the user is prompted to change the password, but no matter what is entered in terms of complex passwords, you get a message that the password does not meet the policy.

If I look in Server - Open Directory, you can edit the global password policies but nothing is set at all so there should be no restrictions.

If I click on the user in Server, edit global password policy is greyed out, which seems like a change. It seems like there is a file somewhere that can no longer be read.

When I try to create a new user, I get this error: unable to create a secure connection with credentials from existing connection: password change denied

One user can no longer properly access their share point. Though the share point can be mounted with Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server and file can be edited and saved there, when I try to access the share point through the left panel of a finder window (the Sidebar), and I click on the server name, I get a Connection Failed error. Same thing in a save dialogue box with multiple applications.

mac mini server -OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:33 AM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2015 11:57 AM in response to John Heffernan

Same problem on Mavericks Server! Encountered few days ago this problem.

if i try to create new Network User Server.app says: "unable to create secure connection with credentials from existing connection: password change denied".

Im suspecting three things:

1) SSL Certificates (something goes wrong with it)

2) DNS trouble (but i have a "success" output in changeip -checkhostname)

3) Security Update 2015-007. But on other three Mavericks servers with almost same configurations no problems...

I tried to destroy OD several times with different ways but nothing... Every new OD has the same trouble. I even installed brand new OS X and OS X Server, configure it from scratch... and then install latest sec. update. And then it goes wrong.

Also tried recerberizing but nothing good.

What to do, still is a big question for me.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5 13F1134)

Server 3.2.1 (13S5179)

Password and file access problems after replacing server HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.