Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Window, menus flickering, can't open browsers. Virus? Malware?

My MacBook seems to have acquired a virus or malware of some sort...I first noticed that every time I clicked on anything in Chrome, it opened in a new window. I checked my extensions (nothing new installed in a long time) and uninstalled it. I then opened Safari intending to reinstall Chrome, but realized that Safari was doing the same thing. I closed Safari and now can't reopen it, or most other apps for that matter. A couple other weird things: if I click on anything in the menu bar at the top of the screen, each option and dropdown opens one at a time until I click somewhere else, and if I select something (i.e., an app) in finder, it remains highlighted even when I click on something else. The window also flickers every time that I select something. I used my MacBook yesterday without any issues or abnormalities, and also haven't downloaded anything recently.

I'm unsure of how to move forward trying to fix the issue when I can't even open applications. Any thoughts or suggestions? Would a hard reinstall help in this case? I live 2 hours from the closest Genius Bar or would just take it there...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:30 AM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2015 9:46 AM in response to lohatz88

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jun 3, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Linc Davis

Update: When I opened up the computer to shut down and restart in safe mode, it seemed to be working fine (though more slowly than normal). However, I am still hesitant to say that this problem is solved, because something caused the issue to happen in the first place, and I did not do anything that would have fixed it. Any suggestions of tests that I could run now that it seems to be working properly again?

Window, menus flickering, can't open browsers. Virus? Malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.