Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have OSX 10.5.8 with Safari 5. Want to upgrade OS to upgrade Safari but there is no apparent way to do this. Advise please -

Have OSX 10.5.8 with Safari 5. Want to upgrade OS to upgrade Safari but there is no apparent way to do this. Advise please

e-mail sending-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 8:36 AM

Choose About this Mac from the Apple menu and check the processor.

If it's a PowerPC Mac, it's already running the newest OS it can.

If it's a Core Duo Mac, click here, install the DVD, and run Software Update.

If it's a Core 2 Duo or better Mac, upgrade it as if it was a Core Duo Mac, and once done, if desired, open the Mac App Store and try downloading Yosemite. If you get told it's incompatible, go to the online Apple Store and order a download code for Lion 10.7.

Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC software such as Microsoft Office 2004. If you upgrade the OS, back up the computer first.

(128258)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 8:36 AM in response to halfromashland

Choose About this Mac from the Apple menu and check the processor.

If it's a PowerPC Mac, it's already running the newest OS it can.

If it's a Core Duo Mac, click here, install the DVD, and run Software Update.

If it's a Core 2 Duo or better Mac, upgrade it as if it was a Core Duo Mac, and once done, if desired, open the Mac App Store and try downloading Yosemite. If you get told it's incompatible, go to the online Apple Store and order a download code for Lion 10.7.

Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC software such as Microsoft Office 2004. If you upgrade the OS, back up the computer first.

(128258)

Jun 3, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Niel

Niel;

Many thanks. It is returning to my original setup that haunts me. I don't have a back up system in the event there are anomalies in the change that disturb. I have an old HP Deskjet 5652 that performs well for example and I wonder if it is compatible with the OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. I would be content with 10.6 Snow Leopard if it helps the Safari upgrade and would not attempt the next level to Lion. I am uncomfortable with changes as there are so many unknowns in the process. If you are confident in the Snow Leopard upgrade I will go ahead with ordering the DVD.

Much appreciate your clear, concise and most rapid response.

Hal

Jun 3, 2015 9:37 AM in response to halfromashland

1. Create a backup. Regardless of anything else, your computer’s internal drive will eventually fail.

2. That printer isn’t supported in Snow Leopard or newer.

3. Snow Leopard itself will not appreciably help in installing a newer Safari(the maximum for it is 5.1.10), but will give you more options if you choose to switch browsers.

(128259)

Have OSX 10.5.8 with Safari 5. Want to upgrade OS to upgrade Safari but there is no apparent way to do this. Advise please -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.