Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assitant is hung

I just had Apple replace my HDD in my iMac. I'm now using Migration Assistant to restore my backup from a time capsule. This process has taken quite a few hours. Anyway, I'm in the home stretch. It's about 92% done, and it's saying that I have 55 minutes remaining. The problem is that it has said that for over 5 hours now.

I'm afraid the application is hung, but what do I do?

Can I force quit? Reboot? Disconnect the AirPort Time Capsule? Won't all those result in very bad things? What are my options here?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 9:15 AM

1 reply

Jun 3, 2015 2:51 PM in response to dcandland

If the HDD apple removed is still ok.. did you get it back.. that might be very helpful.

If the transfer has hung .. which is probable.. you have no choice but to try a restart..

Put your hand on the TC.. has the hard disk stopped spinning.. you can feel the slight vibration when it is.. ?? If so power it off and power back on again.. and cross your fingers ... toes etc.. that MA can pick up where it left off..

If it doesn't you may need to simply move user files manually.. open the backup and copy what you need from the old user directories.. reinstall applications from original sources.

Are you doing this by ethernet??

If not the alternative is to reboot the computer in recovery mode and reinstall the OS..

Are you still using Lion?? I would imagine apple installed Yosemite for you.

Was the backup Yosemite??

Using ethernet it takes a much shorter time to copy the files and is far more likely to succeed before Yosemite spits the dummy and decides it cannot find the network anymore.

Migration Assitant is hung

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.