Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrating from Windows to iOS. Will my Office 2010 Excel macro programs still work

I would like to migrate my financial work from Windows 7 to an iMac , but I need to know if I can still use my Office 2010 Excel macro programs on a Mac based MS Office program

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 10:35 AM

Yes you can use all your data, you have lots of options. Remember any app developed for MS Windows will NOT run in OS X,. however their files will. For example your Excel files will open but you just need an OS X or web based app to run it. .

Some options to consider:

• Purchase MS Office for Mac from Microsoft, this will natively open all your MS Office for Windows files.
  • Use the free apps on any Mac (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Mail, Calendar, etc...) these will open your Office documents for example
    Word = Pages

Excel = Numbers (you may lose some Macros)

• Use a free web based alternative such as OpenOffice
  • Run Office using MS Windows in BootCamp (requires a license of MS Windows)

In short, if you are considering a Mac for the first time you will not lose your valuable information and most MS Windows applications have OS X equivalents these days. I STRONGLY recommend visiting an Apple Store and ask all these questions, they can help you and then also help you choose the right Mac for your needs.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Animus77

Yes you can use all your data, you have lots of options. Remember any app developed for MS Windows will NOT run in OS X,. however their files will. For example your Excel files will open but you just need an OS X or web based app to run it. .

Some options to consider:

• Purchase MS Office for Mac from Microsoft, this will natively open all your MS Office for Windows files.
  • Use the free apps on any Mac (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Mail, Calendar, etc...) these will open your Office documents for example
    Word = Pages

Excel = Numbers (you may lose some Macros)

• Use a free web based alternative such as OpenOffice
  • Run Office using MS Windows in BootCamp (requires a license of MS Windows)

In short, if you are considering a Mac for the first time you will not lose your valuable information and most MS Windows applications have OS X equivalents these days. I STRONGLY recommend visiting an Apple Store and ask all these questions, they can help you and then also help you choose the right Mac for your needs.

migrating from Windows to iOS. Will my Office 2010 Excel macro programs still work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.