Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just need to verify that iCloud is simply a backup...

...of data currently on the device (or iMac) and that if for example you delete a photo from your iPhone/iPad/iMac then it is also deleted from the iCloud. In other words, it is not like a backup hard drive where you can store things currently on your device/computer and things that you do not need to keep on the hard drive on your phone/pad/mac but you want to have a place to keep them, e.g. photos that you don't need easy access to but you do want to keep them. iCloud is simply backup to what is currently on your device or hard drive - correct? I know that has been the case in the past and just wanted to be sure that is still the same. I definitely use iCloud as backup for my devices but I want an online backup that I can use just like an external hard drive - as in a place to store all data - both current and older just for safekeeping. I have an external drive for storage but would like an online backup as well. However, I don't think iCloud can be used that way unless that has changed. If my thoughts are correct, I would be happy to hear any recommendations for an online product for such that you use. I have done a couple of trials of such and have not been happy with them so am on the search again. Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 2:52 PM

Apple doesn't offer any cloud-only storage options. If you delete a photo from your device it will also be deleted from iCloud Photo Library and any other devices. With iCloud Drive, all files are both on your Mac and iCloud. iCloud is not a good backup option since any accidental deletion deletes everywhere.

If you are looking for cloud storage where you can keep something without having a copy on any of your devices, Microsoft OneDrive is one option that I use (note that using it for cloud-only storage is optional, is just one way to use OneDrive, and can be used that way for some but not all of the things you store there, if desired). If you are looking for an automatic backup of what is on your Mac, Mozy works well for me. I haven't used it myself but CrashPlan seems to be another popular cloud backup option for Macs.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 2:52 PM in response to CherylAppleUser

Apple doesn't offer any cloud-only storage options. If you delete a photo from your device it will also be deleted from iCloud Photo Library and any other devices. With iCloud Drive, all files are both on your Mac and iCloud. iCloud is not a good backup option since any accidental deletion deletes everywhere.

If you are looking for cloud storage where you can keep something without having a copy on any of your devices, Microsoft OneDrive is one option that I use (note that using it for cloud-only storage is optional, is just one way to use OneDrive, and can be used that way for some but not all of the things you store there, if desired). If you are looking for an automatic backup of what is on your Mac, Mozy works well for me. I haven't used it myself but CrashPlan seems to be another popular cloud backup option for Macs.

Jun 3, 2015 3:02 PM in response to FoxFifth

Foxfifth,

Thanks - that's what I thought - was just making sure something had not changed. Funny you mention OneDrive as I do have an account and was just now looking at that again and may go that route. I just tried iDrive which sounded to be exactly what I was looking for - auto backup of any new photos, etc. etc. It worked great on my iPhone 5s but there was some kind of glitch with my older iPad 2. Then there were further glitches with our older iMac. If it all worked as well as it does on the phone it would be awesome. When I looked back at reviews (something I normally do ahead of time), it sounded like many others had similar experiences. More and more I think I've got to stick with the reputable names - it's like most things - you get what you pay for and if you want quality and dependability - gotta do it. 🙂

Just need to verify that iCloud is simply a backup...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.