Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are apps telling me to update Safari when I have the most recent version installed?

Why are many apps telling me to update Safari when I have the most recent version installed? Occasionally it prevents me from viewing content.

I have OSX Yosemite 10.10.3 and Safari 8.0.6 on a 2009 IMac

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Safari 8.0.6

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 11:11 AM

5 replies

Jun 3, 2015 12:06 PM in response to bobcar49

I have read discussions here that (if memory serves) claim the a Safari visit to Apple.Com triggers such alerts. Most websites check your browser & version with a JavaScript and alert you if the version is incapable of running their code.

The way a site knows your browser info is - your browser sends its "User Agent" info when connecting to a server - e.g., " Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 TenFourFox/G3 " is for my browser TenFourFox(Firefox) v.31.7.

It is possible that the site's JavaScript has a flaw or the the user agent info is being sent or interpreted incorrectly. An easy way to get your user agent string is > http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ ---EDIT-URLfixed

most modern browsers have developer tools that let you "switch" what the browser "tells" a site for testing and troubleshooting... it used to be easy in older Safari, don't know about v8.0.6.

Why are apps telling me to update Safari when I have the most recent version installed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.