Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Leopard in TDM

I need to install Leopard and so have wiped the drive ready, but cannot start up in TDM (I get the flashing question mark and folder icon).

The reason I'm doing this is because I have two installation disks but they're v10.6 - I found out that my iMac serial number does not allow 10.6 installation.

I have 10.6.4, 7 & 8 from downloads and so I am attempting to use another Mac to connect via FireWire and use TDM, but I get the flashing question mark. I presume I can use TDM even though the disk has now been erased?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 12:36 PM

4 replies

Jun 3, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your reply.

I wiped it in bootable disk mode (command-R at start up), and then used Disk Utility and Erase. Simple.

It's an early 2009 iMac. I thought it was able to run Snow Leopard. I just realised that I omitted 'Snow' in my initial post, sorry.

I have two DVD installation disks v10.6 Snow Leopard.

As previously mentioned, my iMac and serial number won't allow 10.6 from a DVD, hence my download and TDM attempt. Any ideas?

Jun 3, 2015 2:44 PM in response to inknpaper

Then you were running Lion or later when you erased the disk, not Leopard or Snow Leopard. So, I would give this a try:

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

According to my information your iMac came with Leopard. That means you can install any version of Snow Leopard on a retail DVD. If you have the original Leopard discs that came with the computer, then you can also install it. But you will first need to boot from an installer disc and repartition the hard drive (not erase) because as of now it still has the Recovery HD partition you relied on to erase the startup volume. That Recovery HD should allow you to reinstall the OS X version you erased.

If you wish to revert back to Snow Leopard then:

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

Installing Leopard in TDM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.