Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Board and Apple Care

I am thinking of replacing the logic board on Macbook Pro 17 inch. Can I buy Apple Care for that?

What is the general opinion on getting a new logic board --rather than buying a new computer - good idea or bad?

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 3:12 PM

9 replies

Jun 3, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Breadfruit Productions

AppleCare won't cover replacing a logic board for upgrade purposes (even if that could be done, which isn't usually the case thanks to different internals such as power, video, and drive connectors, as well as different external port locations.

The best they will do is replace a faulty logic board with one of the same model, but it doesn't sound like yours is malfunctioning.

Even then, AppleCare typically needs to be added within 30 days of purchase and is likely not an option now.

Jun 3, 2015 3:26 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

My video card is over heating and the machine is crashing. also getting 'memory card beeps' but the memory seems to be OK. Repair guy said the logic board would need to be replaced but warranty on service and new board is only 30 days (certified apple repair place) and the cost around $1600. Lots of money, many things about my 17" and DON'T like several things about how the newer machines (for instance not being able to upgrade memory if you want). so am weighing the pros and cons. I was hoping I could buy an extended warranty because certainly don't want to spend that much bread only to have the whole thing fail again in after a month.

Jun 3, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Breadfruit Productions

I have 4 MBPs, all 17" models (2006, 2010, 2 late 2011s). As you may surmise I like the size.

$1600 is high for a logic board. Look at the iFixit.com and the Powerbookmedic.com web sites for logic boards, prices and install instructions. I recently installed a logic board in my 2006 MBP. It is tedious and requires patience, but it is not brain surgery. If you have reasonable mechanical skills it can be done.

For $1600 or less, you can get a good second hand late 2011 17" MBP on ebay. In my opinion, the late 2011 17" MBP is the best ever made that is why I purchased a second hand one a couple of months ago. The retina MBP resolution is not that much better that would entice me to purchase one of those.

Ciao.

Jun 3, 2015 3:44 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

thanks. that helps a lot. I like the size too. I can buy a refurbished 15" from apple for about the same price as the repair (at this apple authorized place) so I am pretty torn.

I am not sure I feel confident I can replace the board myself. and as for buying on ebay I had bad luck with buying a MBP for my kid via ebay -- it died after about 3 months -- so am a little wary.

thanks much tho. I am gonna check another source for repair.

Jun 3, 2015 4:01 PM in response to Breadfruit Productions

The other three MBPs that I have were all refurbished from Apple. All of them were cosmetically perfect. Refurbished MBP's come with the same warranty and telephone support as a 'new' one and are eligible for AppleCare.

There certainly is a risk in purchasing from ebay, but it can be minimized if you pay attention to the details. If you can get one with a return period so you can have an Apple store genius bar check it is a good way to minimize the risk. Don't be fooled by the software that comes with it. It is not registered in your name and you will not be able to update it. The closer it is to original specifications, the better your chances are.

Ciao.

Logic Board and Apple Care

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.