Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 53 on iPhone 6 Info

I've been investigating the issue of the Error code 53 in the last generation iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus devices. I have an iPhone 6 with this problem and I have tried everything so far in order to fix it but haven't found a solution yet. Here's what we know:

1.-Apple does NOT list it in their list of errors so, for some reason they want to remain this issue a secret wether they don't even know how to solve it, they want it to exist or they are having trouble finding out what exactly causes it. (Could be a hardware failure in every iPhone 6, which would imply to redesign it in order to fix it, of course they'd prefer till the next generation).

2.-Apple support personal are not qualified to deal with this error, so when you get to your closest Apple Store, they won't help you out but replace your phone with a new one over warranty. (The only disadvantage is that if for some reason you replaced the screen or any other pieces on your phone even if those changes are not the cause of the issue, Apple will reject the phone and there's nothing they or you can do).

3.-It's a hardware-related issue, Apple experts in support may not have authorisation to intervene your phone if it's presenting this issue, and in fact, they're given the order to give it straight back to the factory but they do know that the classification of the errors is made according to the type of issue, therefore it is assured by Apple personal that the Error 53 is a hardware problem.

4.-Only happens to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and during the updating process. (Never in the 5S). Which lead us to think that some changes in the software might repair the issue later on, skipping the step that verifies the hardware and allowing users to still conserve their phones when they're not under warranty.

Investigating on the web and checking on people who have already experienced this type of error in their's iPhone, I found that the failure comes commonly after a screen replacement, but the screen has nothing to do with the issue, it looks like as the security the assemble in the touch ID sensor is made to be only used with a specific iPhone and it's own logic board, during the process of restoring or updating the software, the phone verifies that the hardware actually belongs to that particular device. And it is during this process that the Error might show up, (which was my case). Although many others declare they've fixed the issue by changing the USB cable and/or computer. As I mentioned before, most of the cases are directly related to your device home button structure, the charging port, or the flex cable that connects your home button to the iPhone.

Apple is certainly conscious of the issue, but they have not fixed it yet. Could this be a programmed issue that they created themselves? Because iPhone 5S won't present this issue even if touch ID sensor is broken or replaced. (touch ID won't work never if broken/replaced but the phone does). We don't know, but in the meantime I've tried to beat it by modifying the software; I used iOS 8.4 beta 3 in my iPhone 6 to see if maybe, just maybe this version would skip the hardware check that causes the iPhone to get stuck in recovery mode. Effortless, non of the iOS 8 versions yet have fixed this. As Apple customers we should complain and report the failures so that they can hear us and fix their problems. Maybe Apple don't want to release the way to fix it, but I do know that the problem is caused by hardware and it can only be solved through modifications on the SOFTWARE. Yes, the issue is caused by hardware, but software is what kills your phone. Downgrading to a lower iOS might help but it's impossible now (Apple made it impossible). So really there are no actual fixes, the only thing to do is to wait for Apple to release iOS 9 and hope they've fixed it and still looking up by ourselves, using methods unauthorised by Apple of course. (They don't give us a solution and also prohibit that we try to do it on our own).

So, if you get the ERROR 53 IMMEDIATELY TAKE YOUR IPHONE TO THE APPLE STORE TO GET A NEW ONE. If you're pretty lucky and the issue is caused by the cable or laptop don't worry, they will restore the phone for you. I'd appreciate further comments about this problem, if someone has found and actual solution please share. (Remember, work on the software). IF YOU HAVE REPLACED ANY PIECES ON YOUR PHONE AND SUDDENLY SOMETHING IN YOUR HOME BUTTON, TOUCH ID, REACHABILITY FUNCTION OR CHARGING PORT IS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE IT. YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DEVICE FOR EVER, BETTER STUCK IN iOS 8.1 RATHER THAN RECOVERY MODE DON'T YOU THINK?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 3:38 PM

3 replies

Error 53 on iPhone 6 Info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.