Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Libraries are coming out huge

Hello,

I am running the latest version of Final Cut Pro on a 27-inch iMac with 32gb of RAM and a 3.2 processor. The speed/storage/memory are not an issue. Here is the issue:

I am working with 100gb of HD footage (MP4's). I import it all into a new FCP Library to work on a project. I add some music and a lot of video effects, transitions, and color corrections. When I am finished the Library is 483gb. How could the library have grown so much? I have proxy media and optimized media selected. Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 2:09 PM

3 replies

Jun 11, 2015 9:25 AM in response to Tylersb

Don't import the media into your library (select 'leave in place'), don't create optimized media, and don't create proxy media. Just use the raw source files. I know it goes against common "X" thought, but some of my projects contain over 20TB of video and I just don't have the time or drivespace to work that way. I used to import the media into the library, but that created problems and delays when using motion animations in my edits. Example - You have a fancy animated open or something that you've created in Motion, and you've imported it into your project for use in your edit. Then you've got to go back and make a change in the open, so you bounce into Motion, make the change, and re-output. if you use the "leave in place" option, anytime you make a change to the animation and overwrite the source file, it automatically changes in the X timeline. If you use "copy to library", anytime you change a file, you have to re-import it and delete the previous version. Total PITA.

I create a folder on my external drive, dump all the media I am using into that folder, and then edit using the media in that folder. When I am done, the library and the source-footage folder are offloaded to archive.

Jun 12, 2015 1:32 AM in response to frustratedbutopen

frustratedbutopen wrote:

Don't import the media into your library (select 'leave in place'), don't create optimized media, and don't create proxy media. Just use the raw source files. I know it goes against common "X" thought, [...]

I don't think this is against common "X" thought. It is perfectly adequate in many situations. It is certainly unnecessary in many cases to create optimized media, and it is certainly not necessary to create both optimized and proxy. It is a common beginner's mistake to leave both check boxes enabled on import (and then being shocked by the humongous libraries that come from it).

Libraries are coming out huge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.