Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems importing iphoto library

Hi

I used to have a MacBook Pro where I had an iPhoto library of 90GB. I had saved all of this on an external hard drive. When I manage to break my MacBook Pro, I bought a MacBook Air. The problem is that the iPhoto library from my Pro refuses to be imported to my Air. I should have enough space (more than 92GB), and I still get the message "cannot import library because there is not enough space". My plan was to import the photos, and then delete some of them, so that I would have most of my photos and some leftover space, but now I can't import any of the photos. What can I do??

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 2:41 PM

13 replies

Jun 3, 2015 3:29 PM in response to VadPower

a few things

1 - you do not import old libraries - you NEVER import an iPhoto or photos library - you open them

2 - what format is the EHD? TO have the iPhoto or Photos library on it it must be Mac OS extended (journaled)

3 - you must be connected to the EHD using a fast wired connection like USB, FireWire or ThunderBolt - how are you connected?

4 - what size is your library? How much free space do you have on your MBA?

LN

Jun 4, 2015 12:33 AM in response to VadPower

The library that I want to open is 90GB. I have 92 GB free space on my MacBook Air.

Forget the simple arithmetic that's no where near enough space.

OS X needs about 10 gigs of hard drive space for normal OS operations - things like virtual memory, temporary files and so on. The Finder does not report this as space used. So while it may report 92 gigs free the actual amount of unused space might only be 88 or even 82 gigs.

Even if you could open the 90 gig library on 92 gigs of space you would be making your Mac a very risky environment for your data. That space for normal OS operations is vital. Without it your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash and the risk of data corruption - that is damage to your files, photos, music - increases exponentially.

So, you need to open the library on the external first, then delete the material, and then move it on to the Mac.

Remember never let the free space on the Mac go below 10 gigs.

Jun 4, 2015 1:12 AM in response to Yer_Man

Sorry the mistake, all of my photos on my EHD is 90 GB, but the iPhoto library itself is 78GB. I only need the iPhoto library, and not the other photos. I still don't see why I cannot open it on my MacBook Air..
It is not possible for me to open the iPhoto library on my EHD, and this is why is is such a problem.

Jun 4, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Yer_Man

Maybe because of the drive format -

The format of the EDS is Mac OS extended (Case-sensitive, journaled)

The iPhoto library should not be on a drive other than Mac OS extended (journaled) - the Case Sensitive does cause problems sometimes

Of course it always helps if the OP give details - certainly stating "it doesn't work" or "I can't do it" gives us nothing to work with so we can only make wild guesses

LN

Problems importing iphoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.