Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I put an application on my desktop without the shortcut arrow showing?

Very annoying, although I know it's something simple. I'm having trouble with this app. I don't want to see the shortcut arrow. I've had this app on my desktop before without the arrow but don''t know why it's showing up this time. Small, but annoying issue. How do I add the app to desktop without the arrow showing.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 3:43 PM

The arrow means it's an Alias (shortcut) to the original file. Aliases allow you to keep apps or documents or folders where they belong, but also provide quick access to them in more convenient location or multiple locations.

Command-dragging the app will move it to the desktop, BUT, you should not be doing this. Apps are placed in the Applications folder for a reason. That's where they are expected to be for updates, etc.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2015 3:43 PM in response to domricard

The arrow means it's an Alias (shortcut) to the original file. Aliases allow you to keep apps or documents or folders where they belong, but also provide quick access to them in more convenient location or multiple locations.

Command-dragging the app will move it to the desktop, BUT, you should not be doing this. Apps are placed in the Applications folder for a reason. That's where they are expected to be for updates, etc.

How can I put an application on my desktop without the shortcut arrow showing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.