Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 2 identical Ipod Nano 8gb gen3's. One is still working ok the other won't connect to the PC (Device not recognized code 43) Ipod Diagnostics mode can find the USB port ok

I have 2 identical 8GB IPod Nano's up until about 2 weeks ago both were working fine. One is still working ok, but the second one will no longer connect to the computer. It reports "USB Device Not Recognized" error code 43. Other than not connecting it works great, except with battery charging: It seems as though, because it won't connect, it won't charge. If I plug it into the radio broadcast device in my car, that will charge it, also if I put it into Diagnostics Mode, select Power then Charge Current, it will show the amount of charging current and charge the battery. OH almost forgot, even though I can get the battery to charge, and the battery charge indicator will fill in the "Green" as it charges, it does not show the black symbol inside the green.

I've tried to connect it to the PC while in Disc Mode, No Go.

IO status in Diagnostics mode detects the USB Port just fine.

Because the 2 IPods are identical, including everything downloaded to them, and one works and one doesn't, that would indicate that the problem is totally with the IPod. Same PC, same cable, same USB Port, same ITunes, Same Drivers available on the PC, same Firmware Version one works one does not..

Oh, Reset does nothing to help.

Need a way to force it to connect so that it can be reformatted and then restored through ITunes.

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 3:43 PM

3 replies

Jun 5, 2015 5:36 PM in response to jeffd55

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

Because one IPod works, that sort of eliminates any issues with the PC (ports, cable, drivers, software conflicts, ITunes, etc.). Nothing in the article you provided mentions any steps or tests to check out the IPod. But just to be sure I followed all the troubleshooting steps in the article and nothing helped. Even though the "Bad" IPod plays music, and seems to work ok otherwise, I believe the issue is with it. Unless somebody knows a way to force a connect to the PC, or a way to erase the IPod without it being connected, then I think it might be a lost cause.

Thanks again

Bill D.

I have 2 identical Ipod Nano 8gb gen3's. One is still working ok the other won't connect to the PC (Device not recognized code 43) Ipod Diagnostics mode can find the USB port ok

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.