Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro retina crashing?

Hi, I haven't posted on here before but instead of going straight to Apple with this i thought i'd see if anyone can give me any advice or if anyone's having similar problems. I have the early 2013 edition macbook pro retina (15-inch) and it's becoming a regular occurrence for it to keep crashing. When it does, I haven't been doing any activities that would cause a crash like running a high res game and multiple applications etc. Just today I was browsing the web and it just crashes and restarts. Sometimes it gives the options to send the crash report to apple which i do every time but nothing seems to of been fixed. I've run full virus checks and everything is up to date. Can anyone explain what might be causing this and what i should do? I don't want to end up losing all my data or something because of this

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 6:23 PM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2015 12:55 PM in response to warrenfromkamoops

MBP 15-in retina, early 2013

I have the same problem and was told it was a software issue. Last week I ran the latest yosemite update and it began crashing during start-up with no successful boot up. Took it in and the tech could not do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.10.4 so then the tech said I need to replace just about everything:

Repair Estimate

661-7171 LCD DISPLAY CLAMSHELL RETINA $ 623.86

661-7286 Flash Storage, SSD, 512 GB, SD $ 887.78

661-7386 Board, Logic, 2.7 GHZ, 16 GB $ 567.05

S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labor $ 39.00

Total (Tax not included) $ 2,117.69

From a "software" problem to this, I do not think so. The crashing started almost from the original purchase date but only once a week or so, then daily, then several times a day, and finally no boot-up at all.

I hope this repair works!

Jul 10, 2015 1:07 PM in response to charliejack

Hi Charlie,

I have the same model (MBP 15-in retina, early 2013) and the exact same problem. I took it in yesterday for repair (see my comment to warrenfromkamoopsRe: Macbook pro retina crashing?). Hopefully the repair will solve the problem. I spent a few months trying to get the problem fixed but it wasn't until yesterday that Apple acknowledged that it was a hardware problem and not software related. The strange thing was that when they ran all of their hardware tests, results came back all was OK with the hardware. It wasn't until I convinced the tech to try to do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.10.4 and it failed that he acknowledged that it was a hardware issue. None of their tests detected the problem with the hardware.

Macbook pro retina crashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.