Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete songs

I have a large iTunes Library on my iMac. A large subset of it is also on my MacBook Pro. The Library contains both l music loaded from CDs and music downloaded from iTunes. The iMac Library is shared with the MacBook.

I would like to remove much of the music from the MacBook then reload a different subset. Before doing so, however, I wanted to ask what problems to anticipate. Are there settings to be double checked to ensure that I don't loose access to any of my music? Tips on how to do this to preserve organization, sound quality, smart playlists, ratings, or other configuration items?

Can I transfer music, my CDs and/or downloads, by cabling the machines together?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 7:00 AM

If the iMac is the master repository then settings on the MacBook won't make any difference to accessibility.

iTunes: How to share music and video - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2688 - about Music Sharing and Home Sharing

iTunes 12 for Mac: Use Home Sharing to import items from another iTunes library - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19614

Tips on how to do this to preserve organization, sound quality, smart playlists, ratings, or other configuration items?

This is only about another 5 pages of posts. 😉 In essence nothing (mostly) will change.

Organization - For most people it is up to iTunes to organize the files. If you copy them across iTunes will put them where it wants to.

Sound quality - Nothing at all to do with moving hte files. The quality is determined by the file creation settings and also by the playback settings on the device actually used to play back. If you don't change those on your MacBook in the meantime then things won't change.

Smart playlists - Generate according to rules and if you remove a track to which those rules apply then the track won't be in the list. If you add more tracks and the rules apply then they will appear.

Ratings - Are specific to the actual library file used with a computer and your iMac will have one and the MacBook another. I haven't used Home Sharing so I don't know if it is clever enough to transfer ratings when copying a file but I suspect it does not.

Other configuration - Don't change any settings and nothing will change.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2015 7:00 AM in response to jack3030

If the iMac is the master repository then settings on the MacBook won't make any difference to accessibility.

iTunes: How to share music and video - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2688 - about Music Sharing and Home Sharing

iTunes 12 for Mac: Use Home Sharing to import items from another iTunes library - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19614

Tips on how to do this to preserve organization, sound quality, smart playlists, ratings, or other configuration items?

This is only about another 5 pages of posts. 😉 In essence nothing (mostly) will change.

Organization - For most people it is up to iTunes to organize the files. If you copy them across iTunes will put them where it wants to.

Sound quality - Nothing at all to do with moving hte files. The quality is determined by the file creation settings and also by the playback settings on the device actually used to play back. If you don't change those on your MacBook in the meantime then things won't change.

Smart playlists - Generate according to rules and if you remove a track to which those rules apply then the track won't be in the list. If you add more tracks and the rules apply then they will appear.

Ratings - Are specific to the actual library file used with a computer and your iMac will have one and the MacBook another. I haven't used Home Sharing so I don't know if it is clever enough to transfer ratings when copying a file but I suspect it does not.

Other configuration - Don't change any settings and nothing will change.

Delete songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.