Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1 freezes so often on Yosemite 10.10.3

Bought a top of line Macbook Pro 15" retina (2.8ghz, 16GB ram, 1TB PCI-E SSD, May 2015), FCPX 10.2.1 freezed about 5 - 6 times within 2 hours of editing, I couldn't force quit it, the laptop had no response at all, had to hold down the power button to restart.

I wonder if any of you guys have encountered similar issues and what are your suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Message was edited by: vic7219

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 3:32 AM

Start by deleting preferences. Not only corrupt preferences can cause all sorts of trouble, but the crashes often result is preferences becoming corrupt.

Also, try creating a new user account and running FCP X in that account. It may be something from own user account that is causing trouble.

28 replies

Jun 4, 2015 3:33 AM in response to vic7219

More information on this:

I have tried to edit something either on the internet SSD or on an external thunderbolt hard drive, the freezings were the same.

It mostly happened when I was skimming in the timeline, footages have been transcoded to Proxy, the skimming was fast and smooth before it just froze all of sudden, the whole computer just hanged, no response whatsoever, waited at least 10 minutes to see if it could get back to normal, no, the only solution so far is holding down the power button to restart.

Jun 4, 2015 5:17 AM in response to vic7219

Wondering about fonts. You could do a couple of things: 1) start up using safe boot, which does several things - including clearing font caches; 2) open Font Book and validate,

If it still freezes, consider running Digital Rebellion's Crash Analyzer, which is part of the Pro Maintenance Tools suite. (They have a trial version)

If nothing useful comes up I'd be concerned about hardware problems. Run Apple Diagnostics and see what is reported.

Russ

Jun 4, 2015 8:00 AM in response to vic7219

Hi Vic

There are lots of other folks having this issue. I'm mid project so still on older version of FCPX and Mavericks.

Lots of things can cause this.

Some are reporting it may be linked to 2 or more monitors. Not confirmed.

Here are 10 things to try to resolve it by Richard Taylor. Personally I would reorder the list, but good to try them all… http://fcpx.tv/Pages/top10troublesthoot2.html

Be sure to send reports and feedback to Apple

If you find a solution, please post.

Hope this helps, Greg

Jun 4, 2015 4:38 PM in response to EcoGreg

Thanks a lot guys, been testing the whole afternoon and evening, here are the updates:

Installed Digital Rebellion's Crash Analyzer trial version, it says that the crash appears to have been caused by issue with the graphics card or graphics driver, followed by some common causes which I am not quite convinced.

Richard Taylor's article is really good, but none fits my case.

The laptop crashed when connecting with a 4k monitor (ASUS PA328Q), I have begun to suspect the monitor might have something to do with crashing,

so I unplugged it, the laptop crashed just twice within the last 8 hours, much less. However I am still far from happy as my old 2011 iMac was slower but it has rarely crashed with FCPX, actually I don't remember when the last crash was.

FYI, the new laptop hasn't crashed a single time when using Photoshop or Lightroom connecting with the 4K monitor, it also runs perfectly fine with other programs.

The problem is still there, I will keep testing and posting updates here.

Jun 5, 2015 5:09 AM in response to vic7219

UPDATE on June 5th:

First crash at 12:00 AM GMT without connecting to the 4K monitor, the laptop was not even warmed up.

During a playback of a less than 1 min trailer project on an external thunderbolt HD without any effects applied (the original media was rendered by FCPX itself and was played ok so I can safely say that the media file is not corrupted), the scroll bar stopped moving in the middle of play, the image froze but the sound kept going till the end of the clip, laptop itself stopped responding to any mouse click, couldn’t force quit, waited 10 minutes, the freezing didn’t go way, hold down power button to restart, opened FCPX to loop-play the timeline multiple times just fine and later was exported in Compressor without any issue.

This crash might rule out the 4K monitor.

In the earlier post, I mentioned that I had tested a project on the internal SSD, it crashed, this has ruled out the external thunderbolt HD.

The laptop runs Photoshop, lightroom and other programs without any issue, so this rule out the hardware bits?

Major suspect: the compatibility between AMD R9 M370X, FCPX10.2.1 and Yosemite 10.10.3

Jun 5, 2015 5:43 AM in response to vic7219

June 5th

Strange freeze about 30 seconds then went away

At 1:35 PM during playback of a optimised video clip in a library, no skimming, the playback froze (image froze, sound keeps playing), laptop stopped responding to any mouse click, then the freezing went away in 30 seconds, no other programs were running except for "Temperature Gauge".

Jun 5, 2015 7:13 AM in response to vic7219

Hi Vic

When you got the new MBP, did you use Migration Assistant to set up the Mac, or did you do a "clean install" and manually set up accounts and move data?

I ask because I have been bitten several times by MA and always recommend, and always do, clean installs. MA is an all or nothing program and brings lots of crud and cruft with it. This gets compounded with each major OS and new computer you use it on.

If you used MA you might want to consider a complete erase and install fresh the OS, user accounts, and apps from scratch.

Lots of work I know, but really works to eliminate possible hidden underlying problems.

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins in FCPX? Plug-ins even if not use can sometimes cause problems. Worth removing them. (This is covered in Taylor's tips) Additionally, if you have plug-ins in another program like Logic, it is possible that the audio portion is calling for a bad plugin. Not likely, just searching.

I'm assuming you have tried with totally different media files and are getting the crashes?? It is possible to have corruption in the media file from the camera. You mention using Proxy's, have you tried using original media or optimized? Possible to have a corrupted transcoded media segment. Be sure to remove generated proxy/optimized files if you want to try original files.

Have you tried to removing all of FCPX and reinstalling from the App Store? It is possible to get a corrupted download.

Have you examined the crash reports? While they are very verbose gobblely gook, they will point to the issue. When a mac runs into an issue, it will try to repeat the call/proceedure and will show failure/errors. It will most likely show at the very end of the report. Since this is an ongoing problem, you can compare crash reports to see repeat points of failure to see if they are the same. This is where Apple will look.

You can use phone support. Once this gets kicked, they are generally very good about spending the time it takes to find the issue.

Can you get to an Apple Store and the Genius Bar? Maybe time to take it in. If you can, be sure to back everything up @ least 2X because most likely they will erase your drive or hand you a new computer. Especially helpful if you can figure out how to reproduce the problem to show them.

Wow, sorry for your problems, total bummer. This should not be occurring, and for most folks it will not. Thanks for taking the time to post and for testing this out. Helps us all.

Hope this helps, Greg

Jun 5, 2015 8:20 AM in response to EcoGreg

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for taking time to write this.

1. It was a clean install and manually setting up everything;

2. I do have a few 3rd party plugins installed, however I made a test by creating a new user account, FCPX was bareboned, it still crashed;

3. Tried either proxy, original files or optimised ones, it crashes in every scenarios;

4. I can't get a crash report at all, when FCPX crashes, the whole laptop just hangs, I had to press Power to reboot.

The laptop is just 9 days old, having this issue is so frustrating. In the next few days, I will keep testing and posting updates, will definitely reinstall FCPX to see how it goes. If the problem remains, I'll visit the Genius Bar. Thanks again for your help, this forum is great, folks are very kind.🙂

Jun 5, 2015 10:14 AM in response to vic7219

Hi Vic

The Mac automatically stores all crash reports. There are a couple of places where these are stored and many ways to view them.

The most likely place you will find your particular is ~(User)/Library/Logs/Diagnostic reports/ (then the report will have a name and date) You may have to hold down the Option key to see your library. It is in the "Go" Menu from a Finder window.

(I have altered my system files so I can always see the Library in both Sidebar Home folder and in Hdd system files}

Click on on of these crash files for the date of the crash and you can view it by either hitting the space bar for quick view or use open. My guess this is where you will find the correct report.

You can also use the free program Onyx for Mac. http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

I really like this program. It provides a GUI for lots of terminal commands and is great for things like fixing permissions, checking status, running maintenance scripts, cleaning cache files, and seeing log files. Highly recommend this app. Make sure to get the latest version for your OS version.

Understanding what is in the log files is a learning process. Here is an older simple tutorial on understanding crash logs… http://www.cnet.com/news/tutorial-an-introduction-to-reading-mac-os-x-crash-repo rts/

Haa some good info on how to interpret the report and where to locate the program(FCPX?) that crashed and how to read the lines of the file.

Apple provides this info… https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2004/tn2123.html

Note that crash files are reverse chronological order, meaning last process is listed first in column. There you can see the exact action that caused the crash.

Macs also track almost everything you do. You can access this using "Console app" located in the "Utilities" folder. This may or may not be useful to you. It can help pinpoint where something occurred.

So even tho you may not see the "Crash Reporter" pop up when you restart your computer, the logs are still there. I could be wrong, but if in your general preferences, or when you set up your Mac and you click on "Automatically send reports to Apple" you may not get the Crash Reporter window. Don't know as I always click Do not Send Reports. I want to be able to see them. You can then manually click to send to Apple.

You can post the top of the logs here if you want, but remove any personal info and device serial #s for your own protection. You do not need to send the whole very long log, just the top general info and several lines of the crash / invalid / failed log. Maybe we can see the problem.

Hope this helps, Greg

Jun 5, 2015 10:45 AM in response to EcoGreg

Hi Greg,

The last crash today (mentioned above) is not found in the reports folder, there are some from yesterday, I paste couple of top lines from the latest one here.

Yes, you are right, I shall disable "automatically send reports to Apple". Thanks again.

Date/Time: 2015-06-04 13:28:59.991 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.3 (14D2134)

Report Version: 11

Anonymous UUID: ******

Time Awake Since Boot: 480 seconds

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000010

VM Regions Near 0x10:

-->

__TEXT 000000010abda000-000000010acb9000 [ 892K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro

Application Specific Information:

/Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks//Ozone.framework/Versions/A/Ozone

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 com.apple.progl.framework 0x000000010d4f7a8a ProGL::ContextHandle::getCGLContext() const + 4

1 com.apple.ProGraphics 0x000000011544cc27 PGContext::setSurface(PGSurface*) + 23

2 com.apple.ProGraphics 0x0000000115457fdb PGSurface::PGSurface(std::tr1::shared_ptr<PGContext> const&, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int) + 91

3 com.apple.ProGraphics 0x0000000115458661 PGPBuffer::PGPBuffer(std::tr1::shared_ptr<PGContext> const&, unsigned int, unsigned int) + 33

4 com.apple.ProGraphics 0x00000001154585f8 PGMakePBuffer(std::tr1::shared_ptr<PGContext> const&, unsigned int, unsigned int) + 56

5 com.apple.ozone.framework 0x00000001142c902a _GLOBAL__I_a + 1530

6 dyld 0x00007fff670a3ceb ImageLoaderMachO::doModInitFunctions(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&) + 265

7 dyld 0x00007fff670a3e78 ImageLoaderMachO::doInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&) + 40

8 dyld 0x00007fff670a0871 ImageLoader::recursiveInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&, unsigned int, ImageLoader::InitializerTimingList&, ImageLoader::UninitedUpwards&) + 305

9 dyld 0x00007fff670a0806 ImageLoader::recursiveInitialization(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&, unsigned int, ImageLoader::InitializerTimingList&, ImageLoader::UninitedUpwards&) + 198

10 dyld 0x00007fff670a06f8 ImageLoader::processInitializers(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&, unsigned int, ImageLoader::InitializerTimingList&, ImageLoader::UninitedUpwards&) + 138

11 dyld 0x00007fff670a0969 ImageLoader::runInitializers(ImageLoader::LinkContext const&, ImageLoader::InitializerTimingList&) + 75

12 dyld 0x00007fff67096063 dyld::runInitializers(ImageLoader*) + 89

13 dyld 0x00007fff6709d1d1 dlopen + 578

14 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff8a06d857 dlopen + 59

15 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8abec9c8 _CFBundleDlfcnLoadBundle + 152

16 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8abec190 _CFBundleLoadExecutableAndReturnError + 528

17 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff919d3983 _NSBundleLoadCode + 513

18 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff919d337f -[NSBundle loadAndReturnError:] + 259

19 com.apple.Flexo 0x000000010b58eb2c +[FFPluginDirectoryScanner _scanDirectory:withExtension:scanned:delegate:didLoadSelector:] + 604

20 com.apple.Flexo 0x000000010b58effe +[FFPluginDirectoryScanner scanForPluginsInDirectory:withExtension:delegate:didLoadSelector:] + 990

21 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff8c11c1b5 _class_initialize + 649

22 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff8c11bf7f _class_initialize + 83

23 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff8c12c777 lookUpImpOrForward + 322

24 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff8c1161ac objc_msgSend + 236

25 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff919d3531 -[NSBundle loadAndReturnError:] + 693

26 com.apple.Flexo 0x000000010b58eb2c +[FFPluginDirectoryScanner _scanDirectory:withExtension:scanned:delegate:didLoadSelector:] + 604

27 com.apple.Flexo 0x000000010b58effe +[FFPluginDirectoryScanner scanForPluginsInDirectory:withExtension:delegate:didLoadSelector:] + 990

28 com.apple.Flexo 0x000000010b3b019a +[FFEffect(RuntimeBundleLoading) initEffectRegistry] + 202

29 com.apple.Flexo 0x000000010b3d14c7 FFInitializePart2 + 71

30 com.apple.Flexo 0x000000010b399df6 +[Flexo finishInit] + 22

31 com.apple.FinalCut 0x000000010abdcd05 main + 1013

32 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff8a06e5c9 start + 1

Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1 freezes so often on Yosemite 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.