Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am asked for my iCloud password

When I start up safari or mail I am asked for my iCloud password. This has only recently happened. Is this okay?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 9:08 AM

2 replies

Jun 4, 2015 9:42 AM in response to davidfromattleborough

Please take these steps to resynchronize the iCloud keychain. Your keychain on iCloud and your other Apple devices won't be affected. Take Step 2 only if Step 1 doesn't solve the problem.

Step 1

Back up all data.

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm—the data will remain on the servers. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device. Test.

Step 2

If you still have problems, uncheck the Keychain box again and continue.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Keychains

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "Keychains" should open. Inside it is a subfolder with a long name similar to (but not the same as) this:

421DE5CA-D745-3AC1-91B0-CE5FC0ABA128

The above is only an example; yours will have a different name of the same general form. Drag the subfolder (not the Keychains folder) to the Trash and empty.

Restart the computer and re-enable iCloud Keychain.

Jun 30, 2015 2:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, and thank you for your advice. I notice that the iCloud preference pane in the Keychain box was already unchecked. However, before following your advice, I put the computer aside for a few days. When I went back to it the problem seemed to has sorted itself out. Interestingly, I hadn't realised that I also had the same problem with my iPad, which still persists.

I am asked for my iCloud password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.