Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails rejected by Plusnet spam filter

I use OS X Yosemite Mail as my default email app. I recently tried to email 3 people with Plusnet email addresses. They were short emails, no attachments and each was sent to a single address. I tried both HTML and plain text and tried both my iCloud and Gmail accounts. Every email was rejected by Plusnet's spam filter with the message below. However when I sent the emails from iCloud Mail webpage they got through. The recipients have asked Plusnet for advice but have been told it is an Apple problem. The error message is

Recipient address: xxx@xxx.plus.com

Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred

Diagnostic code: smtp;552 Spam Message Rejected

Remote system: dns;mx.avasin.plus.net (TCP|17.172.124.249|57861|212.159.8.200|25) (avasin19.plus.net Plusnet Cloudmark Gateway ESMTP server ready)

I don't want to have to log onto iCloud when Mail ought to be capable of handling all my email. Why is this problem happening and how can it be fixed?

I hope you can help.

Thanks, Fiona

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 11:32 AM

Why not set up an iCloud e-mail address. Then you won't have to log in to iCloud. Mail/Preferences/Accounts - click the + at the bottom left and select iCloud.

Mail Server Information

12 replies

Jun 4, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Rysz

Hi Rysz

As I said in the original query, the addressees with Plusnet accounts have all asked Plusnet to let the emails through but Plusnet say the problem lies with Apple's Mail app. Given that emails from my iCloud address do get through when I send them via iCloud, but are rejected when I send them via Mail, it does seem as if the problem lies with Mail. Any ideas?

Fiona

Jun 4, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Fiona Jenkins

Sender's email doesn't even have the ability to mark the outgoing messages as spam.

With your iCloud account you can use the same address with .me, .mac and .iCloud. Apple treats all of them as the same email address, but Plusnet might not and is blocking one of them. Confirm the outgoing email addresses used when you're on web vs. when you use Mail app.

Jun 5, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Rysz

Hi Rysz

I use my .iCloud address in both Mail and web. I have also tried my gmail address in both Mail and gmail's web. Whichever address I use, it is accepted by Plusnet when it comes from the relevant web provider, but is rejected when it comes via the Mail app. I have also asked the addressees to email me first so I can reply to them, but that doesn't work either.

It seems as if something in the way in which Mail handles the messages triggers a rejection at Plusnet. Plusnet blame Apple (of course) and I imagine Apple will blame Plusnet if they ever bother to reply to the query. I would like to know if anyone else has encountered the problem and found a workaround, but if not I will just have to faff around using the web mail instead.

Fiona

Jun 5, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Fiona Jenkins

Hi,

> Diagnostic code: smtp;552 Spam Message Rejected

> Remote system: dns;mx.avasin.plus.net (TCP|17.172.124.249|57861|212.159.8.200|25) (avasin19.plus.net Plusnet Cloudmark Gateway ESMTP server ready)

Despite what you've may have been told, the above error indicates that our inbound mail server has rejected the message based on either it's origin (i.e. the server it's been sent from), or the content of the message itself.

It would be helpful if you could send one of the messages that's being rejected to a non-Plusnet hosted email address, and then provide our support team with the full headers and content of the received message. This allows us to check both the content of the email and the route it's taken which might give us a clue as to where the problem lies.

I don't mind taking a look for you if you can provide me with a support ticket reference or similar.

Cheers,

Bob Pullen

Plusnet

Emails rejected by Plusnet spam filter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.