Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random flashing bars on screen

Hey all,

I am having a odd problem since reformatting and reinstalling Yosemite. Random times throughout the day, I get this bar, in random locations and sizes, flashing on my screen. If I move the window its over, or move a window over it, it will disappear...or if I just click on it. It appears on my MBP screen, as well as external monitors. Any thoughts on whats causing this? I'm thinking to reformat again and do a clean install, but not sure if there is a better fix.User uploaded file

Specs:

Yosemite 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013)

Processor: 3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8gb

Storage: 500gb Flash.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 12:01 PM

5 replies

Jun 6, 2015 11:53 AM in response to xiphosm3

Hey xiphosm3,

So this random (black) bar started appearing on your displays after installing Yosemite but not before? I understand that it's not persistent and that moving windows around will make it go away. That looks like a picture taken with a phone not a screen shot. Is the bar visible in a screen shot of it?

That it appears on both the internal and external displays implies it's not the displays themselves.

Before you erase and install again please run the Apple Diagnostics to see if that brings up anything.

OS X Yosemite: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test

Take care,

Nubz

Jun 10, 2015 9:56 AM in response to xiphosm3

Hi xiphosm3,

This is an odd one. Not in screen shots means your video memory is okay, yet it appears on the internal and external displays. And that it started with an OS reinstall (software change).

Not sure where else to go other than have it checked out.

You can find the nearest Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider here. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store, please be sure to make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ (available in some countries only).

Best,

Nubz

Aug 27, 2015 12:26 AM in response to JamesWoosley

Same thing has been happening to me since I installed Yosemite as well. As a matter of fact its doing it right now. Once I move a window or highlight the area it stops. I noticed it always occurs near the bottom right of my screen as a red colored bar.

Kinda glad to hear it seems like a software issue and that it's not my display that is messed up. Hope it's fixed soon!

Random flashing bars on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.