Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple Hardware Test

I cannot get access to the to run a Diagnostic test on my iMac late 2009 but holding down the D key does not work.. I have Mavericks OSX. Why does it not work.. My iMac will just boot up as normal ignoring the Diagnostic key...

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 6:05 PM

Because the diagnostic test for your computer is on an optical disc. You can't boot it unless you have the optical disc. Either the original installer disc that came with the computer or a separate AHT diagnostic disc.

Apple Hardware Test- iMac (Mid 2007) and later models

Intel-based Macs- Using Apple Hardware Test

Get Apple Hardware Test Boot Mode Back on Some OS X Lion Macs

upekkha-AppleHardwareTest · GitHub

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2015 6:05 PM in response to 3DinteractiveICT

Because the diagnostic test for your computer is on an optical disc. You can't boot it unless you have the optical disc. Either the original installer disc that came with the computer or a separate AHT diagnostic disc.

Apple Hardware Test- iMac (Mid 2007) and later models

Intel-based Macs- Using Apple Hardware Test

Get Apple Hardware Test Boot Mode Back on Some OS X Lion Macs

upekkha-AppleHardwareTest · GitHub

Jun 4, 2015 6:19 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you for that information.. Seems logical. I just wanted to run a test since for some strange reason, I am getting Pink Lines going down, in Safe Mode but in Normal Mode the entire system locks up with lots of little pink spots.. Its working fine right now but out of the blue it will lock up with the Pink Spots.. I have a feeling that its the graphic card is on its way out, but I cannot buy a new one.. Apple have made my iMac Vintage.. I have a new iMac Retina on order but I will sure miss this iMac. I was hoping to just use it for Windows for the rare times I use it and to pass onto our little girl to use.. Real shame.. Not a scratch or mark on it.. It looks new.. How can I throw it away...

Destiny..

Using Apple Hardware Test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.