Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have the latest version of Pages. How do I get Pages '09 to access my old files.

I have the latest version of Pages. How do I get Pages '09 to access my old files. This happened when I purchased a new iMac. Great machine, but I lost my (very) old Appleworks and now cannot open my old pages files.

All I need is a copy of Pages '09 which apparently can be opened by Pages V 5.5.3— my present version.

Marv S

Safari, Time Machine-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2015 5:31 PM

Copy it from the old computer(if possible) or install it from an IWork 09 disk; if needed, check sites such as Amazon or eBay for them.

(128344)

4 replies

Jun 4, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Nivrams2

I dumped the Pages 5 out of Applications and into Trash. I still use Pages '09 (it's better for graphic design). I found the newer Pages lacking, and until Apple restores Pages to at least it's previous ('9) functionalitty, I'm not updating. Here's some things others wrote a few months ago (luck):

• PeterBreis0807Jan 13, 2015 3:29 PM Re: Why does the latest version of Pages create large files?
    Re: Why does the latest version of Pages create large files?in response to siphoneturtonHelpful
    Pages 5 is now 16 months old.

That and well over 100 other problems, omissions and downgrades have been well documented.

Pages 5 is a bloated, slow, incompatible and very inefficient format that will ultimately lead to grief as it trashes itself or Apple trashes it for you. Apple has already altered the file format several times and if you hit a problem, and many have, there is next to nothing you can do to rescue your work.

You should still have Pages '09 in your Applications/iWork folder, use that until something better comes along (not from Apple).

Peter

This helped me (1)

• I agree with Peter. Use Pages '09, but keep a document migration strategy present. When you create a Pages document in Pages '09, export it to Word .doc too. Export any current content in Pages v5.2.2, and then stop using it. That means no double-clicked documents.Pages v5 is not an evolution of Pages '09 — it is an incomplete rewrite, and uses a different, internal document architecture than did Pages '09. This internal architecture is to blame for the export translation bloat into Word's different document architecture. It does not matter whether you type a single character, or multiple pages, you will get about a 500Kb .docx file.Opening, and resaving this monster .docx file in MS Word in Office for Mac 2011, LibreOffice, or TextEdit will result in a very small .docx footprint.

Jun 6, 2015 8:52 PM in response to Niel

Thanks, Niel. I did find a trial copy of iWorks '09 to download. I use pages for simple billing invoices only, so I don't need the more sophisticated formatting that has been stripped for the 64 bit Yosemite platform.

I have been able to open my (older than '09) pages file in the trial software and resave in the latest version. I do more elaborate projects in Adobe CS.

This is Apple being Apple. They should have issued Pages 5 as a Beta version… for free. But I believe they have an agreement with Adobe to keep competitive Apple software less capable than Adobe counterparts.

So, the fix for this problem is to acquire a copy of iWorks '09 and use it, until apple issues a viable upgrade… or a third party does.

I have the latest version of Pages. How do I get Pages '09 to access my old files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.