Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete and reinstall operating system

I am having an issue connecting to my wifi, and i had this issue with my iMac too. I completely deleted, and installed a new copy of the operating system, and it worked. its not the wifi hud, because the issue occurs when tethered, and no other apple device i own has an issue, nor anyone else in the house.

I've done it for the iMac, how do i do it for the iPhone? and I'm not taking about restoring the phone, via iTunes. i mean, deleting the operating system, and reinstalling a fresh copy - just as i did to my iMac.

Posted on Jun 5, 2015 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2015 3:05 AM

There's no such thing as deleting the operating system from the iPhone.

You can only restore the device to factory settings and update it to the latest version of iOS. That's something similar to erasing the hard drive and reinstalling a fresh copy of OS X on your Mac.

Hope this helps!

11 replies

Jun 5, 2015 4:19 AM in response to king-panther

king-panther wrote:

im not familiar with software, but there must be a way - just because you and i do not know how to, doesn't mean it can't be done.

For clarification, there is no way for a normal user to do this with a normal (unaltered) device and normal (unaltered) installation of iOS.

If you are having issues with your iDevice, the most drastic method available to a user to sort it out is to restore the device as new. There is nothing further you can do.

Dec 29, 2017 6:47 PM in response to ProvenSpark0

ProvenSpark0 wrote:

I know there must be a way to do this. Maybe try taking this in to Apple. I know for a fact that the calibration machines they use when repairing the new iPhones work by removing the software from the device then adding it back once calibration is complete.

You’re 3 years late to this party, and the actual options have already been posted in the responses. And your “fact” is wrong in the bargain.

Jun 5, 2015 9:33 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

No, it does not. The code remains untouched on the device. Just did a full restore during the setup of a new iPhone 6. The iOS 8.3 installer was not on the computer and was not downloaded in the process either by the computer or the phone. The only thing that got reinstalled were all the nonstandard apps, and all non-code contents and settings restored.

IIRC, only a recovery from DFU mode will cause a download and reload of the iOS code. Just like what happens when upgrading from previous iOS versions.

Jun 5, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Courcoul

Well, my experience is different. If I choose "Restore iPhone" (NOT "Restore Backup") iTunes DOES download a new image and I assume it loads it on the phone, both from the time it takes to install, and there would be no point in downloading it if it didn't intend to install it. And this is the procedure recommended by Apple to erase the phone when selling a phone.

delete and reinstall operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.