Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VTDecoderXPCService suddenly eating CPU making my MBP run hot

I suddenly have VTDecoderXPCService making my mack run hot, chewing up CPU cycles and eventually forcing me to restart. Given that it is normally associated with the iSight Camera, I am concerned because I don't have anything open connected to the camera. 80% of the time the only thing I use is Safari, Firefox and Mail. The other 20% is Lightroom and Preview. What the heck is going on?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 5, 2015 8:41 PM

6 replies

Jan 13, 2017 9:55 PM in response to iMac Rob

I'm also having this issue on my Late 2011 MBP 2.5GHz i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB. But only when I play 1440HD and 4k videos. As soon as I play a 1440HD video on Quicktime or youtube "VTDecoderXPCService" appears in Activity Monitor at around 100%CPU and if I play a 4k video its around 200-240%CPU. Also the fan immediately kicks on full blast. Anyone have a solution?

Mar 23, 2017 11:18 AM in response to CluMz

Playing video requires work. Quit playing video or play smaller versions of the files to reduces the problem.

A 2011 MBP is getting old now - video sizes, bitrates, compression formats keeps changing and become more complex (so they require hardware acceleration to play well) but your Mac doesn't get any faster, something has to give.

Aug 1, 2015 6:24 AM in response to iMac Rob

I have just noticed that on mine first generation unibody Macbook (running OSX 10.10.4 and 8GB RAM) the VTDecoderXPCService eats about 25% CPU - it seemed to have been related to some of the webpages I had opened in Safari at the time. I did not investigate it in more detail, but I also had some web content (http://www2....) eating another 20% CPU or so. Once I closed a couple of tabs both processes disappeared.

VTDecoderXPCService suddenly eating CPU making my MBP run hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.