Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xsan Cling adding issue

hi i have small xsan setup 8 clint OS version 10.8.2 all machine with 2MDC and separate dedicated DNS its working fine almost one year but last week one of my clint machine os crash so i remove the clint from computer list and formate clint machine after formatting when i want to add the system with xsan admin its not showing on add computer list on Xsan Admin

i try ping the machine with DNS check with sudo change ip -checkhostname its seems look good

check with Disk Utility all the luns showing properly on clint machine

but when i am going to add machine with Xsan admin from Add computer Machine not showing add computer list

we also try remotely add but i am not be able to add

pls help me its painful for me

Posted on Jun 5, 2015 11:29 PM

4 replies

Jun 25, 2015 1:51 PM in response to S Arshad

Here are some potential reasons you may be unable to add an Xsan client (pre-Yosemite):

1. Xsan isn't enabled on the client

- fix: turn it on in Xsan System Preferences

2. Xsan is enabled on the client, but it's already configured as a member of a SAN

- fix: on the *client*, do "sudo xsanctl wipeconfig", then "sudo xsanctl sanConfigChanged". Or remove all contents of client's /Library/Preferences/Xsan directory and reboot it. Then make sure Xsan is enabled and try again.

3. The client version is incompatible.

4. The client version is older and compatible, but you've enabled features in your newer SAN which made the client incompatible, such as case sensitivity.

5. Pre-Yosemite, all MDCs must be online when you add clients to a SAN: Xsan 2 and Xsan 3: Some administrative operations require computers to be online - Apple Support

6. The client has a network problem. (On a different network, cable not plugged in, has intermittent contact and packet loss due to cable/switch issues, firewall is blocking client access, etc)

7. The Xsan Admin system has a network problem. (See #6. Also, Xsan Admin system may have a proxy server which prevents communication with client.)

8. The client has a problem with its fibre channel connection and is hanging when enumerating LUNs. See if "sudo cvlabel -c" hangs on the client.

9. Your MDC is trying to configure the client to use a directory service but the client really doesn't want to do that. (Manually unbind in Directory Utility on the client before adding it.)

10. There's a license conflict that prevents you from adding the client. (Would only affect a client running Snow Leopard or older.)

11. Another system in the SAN has a /Library/Preferences/Xsan/uuid file which matches this client system's UUID. That should never happen, but it can if you imaged an already configured Xsan client and then deployed it to this client.

Jul 3, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Claudio Sanchez1

We're having a similar situation and I'm suspecting that #11 may be close to what's happening. The machine we're trying to connect was previously a san client and it was taken out of storage and wiped. When we go to add it to the controller, xsan admin does not show it as available. Any suggestions on how to track that down?

Jul 3, 2015 12:59 PM in response to Digg

For #11, check the computers array in /Library/Preferences/Xsan/config.plist on the MDC for an entry with the UUID of the system you're trying to add. If an entry already exists, you can't add the client again.

If the client system you're adding has a /Library/Preferences/Xsan/uuid file, look for that UUID. Otherwise, look for the client's hardware UUID--which you can find on the client in System Profiler's hardware overview.

It could be that the "duplicate computer" already in the SAN is the very same computer you're trying to add. That can happen if you reinstall the client OS without first removing it from the Xsan. If that is the case, you should see the computer in Xsan Admin's computer list. You can simply force remove the client and then readd it.

Jul 8, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Claudio Sanchez1

Thank you! Looking through the config.plist for the UUID solved the problem.

It turns out that for some reason another client had a /Library/Preferences/Xsan/uuid file that contained the UUID of the machine I was trying to connect. Removing the conflicting machine from Xsan Admin and deleting that uuid file then allowed us to get both clients connected.

Xsan Cling adding issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.