Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Northbridge running hot in 2010 Mac Pro

I had suspected that my hard drives were running hot (they weren't) so I fired up Hardware Monitor and noticed that my Northbridge temps seems way too high. With CPU load at around 10%:

Northbridge Chip: 80C/176F

Northbridge Heat Sink: 62C/144F

I see that the 2009 MPs has some problems with the plastic clip that held the heat sink to the chip. How can I check this on the 2010?

Mac Pro 5,1 mid 2010

8-core 2.4 GHz (2x Intel E5620)

32 GB RAM

OS X 10.10.3

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 8-core, 32 gb ram

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 10:45 AM

The heatsink needs to be tight and not "wiggly".

You can check that by powering off, removing the AC power cord, and sliding out the Processor/memory shelf in the bottom of the cabinet. The Northbridge chip sits in the middle of the board, and can be checked for 'wiggly" without any dis-assembly.

If you have a wiggly Northbridge chip as others have experienced, read the thread referenced below (applies to 2009 through 2012 models). The Original Poster thought he just had random crashing, but as he probed, the NorthBridge heatsink and its retaining pins became the focus. Richard Schlettyprovided some good photographs (toward the end) as well.

Re: Kernel panic in Yosemite 10.10.3

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Shecky Lovejoy

The heatsink needs to be tight and not "wiggly".

You can check that by powering off, removing the AC power cord, and sliding out the Processor/memory shelf in the bottom of the cabinet. The Northbridge chip sits in the middle of the board, and can be checked for 'wiggly" without any dis-assembly.

If you have a wiggly Northbridge chip as others have experienced, read the thread referenced below (applies to 2009 through 2012 models). The Original Poster thought he just had random crashing, but as he probed, the NorthBridge heatsink and its retaining pins became the focus. Richard Schlettyprovided some good photographs (toward the end) as well.

Re: Kernel panic in Yosemite 10.10.3

User uploaded file

Jun 7, 2015 10:05 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So I pulled out the tray, and the heat sink was pretty snug, so I decided to see if some canned air would do the trick. Definitely brought temps down considerably, only on the NB. Everything else on the tray stayed roughly the same

All temps C

"Idle" (10% load)

NB chip: 68 (was 83)

NB heat sink: 52 (was 62)

Heavy load (90-100% load for 30 min)

NB chip: 80

NB heat sink: 63

Is this still too high? What's the acceptable range?

While I'm here, I also noticed a huge difference between the 2 CPU temps and also the 2 RAM banks. Should I be worried about this? RAM is fully populated with 4 GB OWC modules (32 total) purchased at the same time as the Mac Pro in October, 2010

"Idle"

CPU A Heatsink: 38

CPU A Diode: 39

CPU B Heatsink: 30

CPU B Diode: 31

Mem module 1: 37

Mem module 2: 38

Mem module 3: 39

Mem module 4: 39

Mem module 5: 31

Mem module 6: 31

Mem module 7: 30

Mem module 8: 29

Heavy load

CPU A Heatsink: 62

CPU A Diode: 66

CPU B Heatsink: 48

CPU B Diode: 52

Mem module 1: 54

Mem module 2: 57

Mem module 3: 58

Mem module 4: 59

Mem module 5: 40

Mem module 6: 41

Mem module 7: 40

Mem module 8: 39

Am I still in acceptable ranges? Should I be concerned about the differences between the 2 CPUs and the 2 memory banks?

Thanks

Northbridge running hot in 2010 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.