Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add title to events in Photos

I used to be able to add titles to events in iPhoto. My old titles have thankfully migrated to Photos but now I can no longer add metadata such as a title or keywords to events, but only on individual photos. Can you please help? Thanks!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 8:38 AM

8 replies

Jun 6, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Natalia Agapiou

. My old titles have thankfully migrated to Photos but now I can no longer add metadata such as a title or keywords to events, but only on individual photos.

This is not possible, because their are no events in Photos. Events have been replaced by Moments, that are created automatically based on a similar time and location. These "Moments" are named automatically.

What you are seeing in the folder "IPhoto Events" is a fake. Photos created an album for each of your previous events to save the name and the set of photos in the event. But you cannot add additional tags to albums.

You can add keywords to all photos at once if you select them and add the keyword from the keywords browser.

But there is no batch change command to change all titles or captions in Photos.

We wrote a few Apple Scripts to help with batch editing, see the User Tips page: Photos for Mac User Tips

For example:

Photos for Mac: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filename

Photos for Mac: Batch Change Title to Capture Date-Description-Padded Sequential Number

Photos for Mac: Batch Change the Descriptions

The scripts are best applied, when browsing the photos in the "All Photos" album. And not too many photos at once, because Photos will frequently have timeout errors.

Jun 6, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Natalia Agapiou

what do you mean by " keywords browser"?

That was a typo, sorry. I meant the "Keyword Manager".

You can show the panel by typing ⌘K or from the View menu.

User uploaded file

You can assign keywords to multiple selected images by clicking the corresponding button in the Keyword Manager. Or simply by pressing the keyboard shortcut of the keyword as shown in the manager. When you drag a keyword in the Keyword Manager panel to the Quickgroup on top, a shortcut will be shown.

User uploaded file

Jun 6, 2015 11:04 AM in response to Natalia Agapiou

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Jun 27, 2015 8:55 AM in response to léonie

Hi

I was using your apple script to change the titles to the filenames and it worked beautifully for all my iphone photos. The script gave me a couple of hiccups renaming the photos from my panasonic Lumix, but I ran it a couple of times and it finally worked. For my photos coming from the Canon 70D the script doesn't work at all. Have you encountered this problem at all? I'm not sure why it's bumping on the photos from this particular camera. It says it's encountered an error, but I have no idea what it is....

chi-yoon

Jun 30, 2015 1:36 PM in response to léonie

the 70D names are IMG_3225.jpg and the panasonic names are P1040201.jpg

Now both aren't working. I used the version of the script that WASN'T for iCloud but for Photos. What's really weird is that the script worked a few days ago, but now there is an error. Is there a log where I can see what the script is tripping on? I even tried copying and pasting your script again and saving it again but there error still happens.

add title to events in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.