Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie crashes when exporting

Hello I have an iPod touch 5G and I have a iMovie project I would like to export to the camera roll so I can get it off the device. However when I go to export it the progress bar will go about 3/4 of the way then iMovie will crash. Is there any fix for this? I'm running iOS 8.1.2. Thank you

iPod touch, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 9:19 AM

5 replies

Jun 17, 2017 11:23 PM in response to kellzbellz90

I have experienced this phenomenon as well, the latest incident being yesterday with my brand new 10.5" iPad Pro.

My project caused the app to crash and quit unexpectedly the moment it began exporting, regardless of how I wanted to share it.

The problem was the first introductory clip. When I removed it from the project, it exported just fine. This is very irritating because it is an introductory clip that I use on every single one of my projects, from family home video to my professional revenue generating videos.

The clip in question is created in Final Cut Pro on my iMac, and shared via iCloud for my iPad to access it via iMovie. I tried several different setting for export, including "Apple Devices 1080p" and the clip still caused iMovie for iOS to quit unexpectedly on export.

The clip causes zero problems during the editing process. It loads into the project absolutely fine, all transitions can be applied, it can be trimmed, split, titled over, volume adjusted, audio split, everything with no problem. It just won't export.

So...my advice is that of you are able to process and export to ¾ of the way before your crash...look for a clip around that far through your project that may be causing the issue and try removing it. It may be a little bit of trial and error, and extremely irritating, but it is most likely the culprit.

In my case, I exported and then added back the intro clip in Final Cut Pro on my iMac. That kind of defeated the whole purpose of doing the project on the iPad though...

Jun 8, 2015 9:11 AM in response to Jrklingerman

Hey there Jrklingerman,

It sounds like youhave finished your project and when you try and share it to the camera roll but iMovie unexpectedly closes. I would start by updating your iOS to the latest current version and trying again:

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If the issue persists, I would quit iMovie, Settings, and Photos:

iOS: Force an app to close

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

iMovie crashes when exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.