Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help! Mac LC II won't boot from HD!

When the computer starts up, it goes to a gray screen showing only a mouse cursor. I have booted from a floppy disk that contains system 7.0.8 and it did successfully boot from the floppy. After running Apple HD SC setup, no Hard Drive is being recognized. I can hear the HD start and spin properly with no odd sounds. Any thoughts on a fix for this? Do I just need to replace the HD or is it something else? Also, could this just be a bad battery that needs to be replaced or would that not have anything to do with this issue? I'm fairly certain that battery is dead....no chime at startup even by booting system 7.0.8 from a floppy.

Where would I be able to buy a replacement battery locally?

ANY assistance would be much appreciated!

Michael

Macintosh LC II-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 10:30 AM

3 replies

Jun 6, 2015 8:00 PM in response to brodwolf7

It's always a good idea to replace a weak/dead PRAM battery. The LC II uses a 3.6-volt, ½AA lithium battery. You can find them online for about $5, but you might also find them in any local battery-specialty retailers in your area. Certain alarm system components use that same battery. Whatever you do, don't go to one of the few remaining Radio Shack stores to buy one. They charge 3 - 4 times the going price online. As for the hard drive, although you hear the platter spinning, there could still be an electronic problem on its small circuit board that's causing it to not be recognized by HD SC Setup. Have you checked the motherboard for any evidence of damage to its electronic components, like leaking capacitors? The hard drive is a 50-pin SCSI I/II — either a Quantum 40, 80, or 160 GB drive, if it's the original. They are getting harder to find than they were, even 5-10 years ago. You can always check ebay for one, but be sure that the seller guarantees it to be working, because a used one of the same capacity will be just as old as the one that you have and likely have high mileage.

Need Help! Mac LC II won't boot from HD!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.