Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie export results in "Share Failed" and "Error: this is null!"

I have tried repeatedly to export a project to a file. In total, it's only 17 minutes of video. The steps I take are:

1. File > Share > File

2. I accept the defaults:

"Format: Video and Audio"

"Resolution:1920 x 1080"

"Quality: High"

3. Click the "Next" button

The n iMove sits for a bit and shows an empty circle in the upper-right corner. After a few minutes, I get the error in the upper right:

Share Failed.

Exporting "Movie Title" has failed.

User uploaded file

When I click "Details" to get more information, the following dialog box appears:

Exporting "Movie Title" has failed."

Error: this is null!

User uploaded file

That's it. No information, nothing I can use to troubleshoot

Computer specs: iMac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i&, 32 GB 15600 Mz DDR3 memory

The disk shows 1.71 TB free.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 3GHz / 4 GB RAM / 18 TB DroboPro

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 12:43 PM

5 replies

Oct 25, 2015 4:26 AM in response to adambplummer

I had this issue for four months and no updates to OS X or to iMovie fixed it. Today I found the root cause and found a workaround; the issue seems to be with my iMovie Library file. The issue does not occur for a different iMovie library. So try this in iMovie:

1. File | Open Library | New.... - and give it a name, such as "Projects to Share".
  2. With both the original and new Libraries open, you can move a troublesome project via the Projects view using the "Move to Library" or "Copy to Library" options.
  3. This step seems to be important: Close the original library (File | Close Library) and then ensure you quit and restart iMovie.
  4. Confirm you have only the new Library open in iMovie (it should contain only the projects you moved/copied and their source clips).

You should now be able to export as expect.

Oct 31, 2015 2:57 PM in response to IzzardUK

@IzzardUK-

Thanks!! I have an older mini (mid 2011) and thought the "this is null" issue was associated with the fact that I have not opened my iMovie Library for some time. I used the method you outlined above and was able to recover the clip I desired.

It's looks as though the entire Library may need to be moved to a newly created/named Library. At least I have the ability to export clips again.

Be well.

Movie export results in "Share Failed" and "Error: this is null!"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.