Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much battery life are u getting on new mbpr 15" mid2015?

After transferring my files over, I was getting about 2-3 hours max. As per support's request, I did a clean install. Battery life increased a lot but this is without any apps installed and wifi off - I was getting 5 hours, with zero usage, just the desktop open. The promised battery life on browsing via wifi should be 9 hours. So, question is: what are you guys getting on your new models? Is it mine that is faulty or did battery life really decrease with the update?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 11:51 AM

6 replies

Jun 14, 2015 11:25 PM in response to stazi

I've had my new MBP 15" 2.8 ghz, 16GB ram and AMD Radeon R9 M370X for around two weeks now. I love the laptop especially switching from a 2011 model. The only negative review I have about it is the battery life. It's not even close to what they advertised. If I'm playing an old game, the battery lasts anywhere from two to three hours. If I'm on Netflix only with no other apps running and the screen light is dimmed to medium, I may reach four to five hours.

When I bought the laptop I already assumed that when they said 9 hours were under optimal conditions (means not using it much) but what I'm getting is half of that. So to answer your question Stazi, compared to what you wrote, me might see only slight improvements in the battery. I hope they find the problem and have them replaced to something better.

Apr 18, 2016 8:04 AM in response to Planet51

I figured this problem out on mine, and it was NOT easy. Hope this helps:

I realized that M370X does not switch back to Iris Pro a lot of times, and the only thing that fixes it is a reboot. If you are running any program that monitors Discrete/Integrated video card in use, FORGET ABOUT THEM! Something is up with this MacBook model, and even though its showing that Iris Pro is in use, the AMD is the one actually running, and draining your battery.

Now... HOW CAN YOU CHECK THIS?

1. Download any temperature monitoring software (iStats, etc.). Set one of the temperature sensors to monitor Radeon GPU Diode.

2. If integrated Iris Pro is in use, the temperature of the Radeon should stay around 35 degrees celsius, and your battery life will be 7-9 hours even with 85% brightness.

3. If AMD M370X kicks in, its idle temperature will be in low 50s, and the battery use is cut in half.

4. The only way to fix this is to restart the MacBook, but the problem will come back sooner or later until the next reboot.

I am not sure if any of battery runtime issues are related to this problem, but on my MacBook it is. I am sending it in to get the motherboard replaced. Once it is back, and if I noticed the same problem being present, I am selling this laptop, and will get a 12". Will wait until new 15" model comes out with a different/better GPU implementation.

Please try it out, and let me know if that is the case with your MacBooks.

Thanks

Tim

How much battery life are u getting on new mbpr 15" mid2015?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.