Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reinstall Mac OS X without needing a DVD?

After my PowerBook G4 (Aluminium 2004 ?) crashed itself on a holiday a few years ago, it somehow managed to wipe its hard drive. I have used it very little since (after installing Linux on it) and would like to try and re-install Mac OS X on it. I have an ISO of Leopard on my iMac but when I burned it to a Dual-layer DVD and inserted it into my PowerBook it didn't recognise the disk. I've also tried placing it on a USB but that didn't work either. It had OS X 10.5.8 before it erased itself. I

also bought an older PowerBook disk with OS X 10.2 on it but that wasn't recognised when I turned my computer on.

The point is, I would like to install a version of Mac OS X (10.3+ preferably) on my PowerBook G4 without using a DVD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks, setha13.

PowerBook, Other OS, 12" Aluminium

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 1:07 PM

Without knowing the version of OS X your Powerbook came with (it shipped with different versions over a 4 year period), I would recommend locating a copy of OS X Tiger 10.4 or OS X Leopard 10.5.

In most cases you will need a retail copy, and maybe you can use an external USB DVD drive to install it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2015 1:07 PM in response to setha13

Without knowing the version of OS X your Powerbook came with (it shipped with different versions over a 4 year period), I would recommend locating a copy of OS X Tiger 10.4 or OS X Leopard 10.5.

In most cases you will need a retail copy, and maybe you can use an external USB DVD drive to install it.

Jun 8, 2015 2:16 AM in response to setha13

Without the correct system DVD or the correct disk image of the supported OS X

version(s) the computer may be able to run, you do not have the tools to do this.

An older G3 computer could not connect via Ethernet to a newer G4 to do what

is required. And to facilitate the discussion, to have an accurate identification of

the PowerBook G4 aluminum model (processor, display, graphic spec, etc) from

the original sales model number and other info, could be helpful when looking

online for original or official duplicate OS X retail install DVDs.

If you can locate a serial number on the computer, externally or internally, some

had that info inside the battery compartment; or on the back by the hinge. If it

were running, the serial number could be found in the System Profiler, or in the

About This Mac (under Apple in main menu bar) and that info could be used to

find out the build specs for the computer. To help identify a replacement OS disc.

Here's a short list of main categories of Aluminum PowerBook G4:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/manual-pages/powerbook-g4-aluminum.php

• identify by serial number - lookup site:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

Tiger 10.4.11 and Leopard 10.5.8 are about all that could run on a vintage PPC Mac

depending on the hardware vintage build and original build date specs. - It would be

much easier to buy a newer MacBook (intel) core 2 duo model, buy Snow Leopard

10.6 on DVD, and update that, for a less obsolete & satisfactory vintage experience.

PowerBook G4 Aluminum models according to the short list above, should be able

to run Leopard 10.5.8, as their highest system, given their early processor was an

867MHz PPC, the slowest one to use the Leopard 10.5 system. However there are

other PowerBook G4 models that have slower CPUs and cannot run Leo 10.5.

MacTracker and everymac databases can detail the correct part number of original

DVD and software, once a specific example of hardware is identified properly...

A good clean working early MacBook from the 2006-07 era would be superior to an

old PowerBook G4. The early MacBook series, 2006 to 2010, was fairly good.

Hopefully you can find the correct install disc for the model PowerBook you have.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jun 9, 2015 12:37 AM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer wrote:

Tiger 10.4.11 and Leopard 10.5.8 are about all that could run on a vintage PPC Mac

depending on the hardware vintage build and original build date specs. - It would be

much easier to buy a newer MacBook (intel) core 2 duo model, buy Snow Leopard

10.6 on DVD, and update that, for a less obsolete & satisfactory vintage experience.

This. Exactly. Just last week I had my 13" mid-2010 MacBook (purchased in 2011) upgraded to a 120GB SSD and 6GB RAM. I run Snow Leopard for old time's sake, and it is still supported by many developers for current software like Adobe Reader 11, Firefox, and Chrome. Even Apple supports it with the iPhone 6 if you download iTunes 11.4. You can even update a Core 2 Duo MacBook to Yosemite or the upcoming El Capitan coming Fall 2015 if you wish.

My MacBook boots to the desktop in 15 seconds and feels faster than any HDD-based Mac I have used out there. The 13" size is great if you travel a lot or use it for college like I do.

How can I reinstall Mac OS X without needing a DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.