Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Installation Issues on iMac G3

I have been trying to get Mac OS X 10.6.4 to run on my iMac G3. It has a 1GB of Ram, 400mhz, and 20GB of hard drive space. At first, I would always get a blue screen after the Apple logo loading screen. It had finally gave me the menu. I decided to format the hard drive to give me the maximum amount of space. It started to install then stopped to say there were errors and to restart. I did so. I kept getting the blue screen and kept restarting. Lots of the time, it would just stay on the white loading screen. Now when the menu loads correctly and when I get to the part of it to chose where I want it to be installed, it doesn't recognize the drive. There is no icon. How do I fix this? This is driving me crazy.

iMac G3-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 2:39 PM

14 replies

Jun 6, 2015 3:19 PM in response to awent0428

Does the drive stll show up in Disk Utility?

Is it APM Partition map?

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

Jun 6, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Kappy

I have formatted the hard drive. I have restarted many times when the screen is blue or it doesn't go past the white loading screen. When the menu does show up, it wouldn't recognize the hard drive. Just now, it had worked correctly and recognized the hard drive. After a few minutes into installing, it says that there were errors and to restart. This is the second time it has done this.

Jun 6, 2015 3:48 PM in response to awent0428

Are you formatting the drive using the APM method? You cannot use GUID. When you run the installer wait for the menubar to appear. Select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Do you see your drive listed in Disk Utility's sidebar? Do you have a Macintosh HD or other volume name indented entry below the HDD's out-dented entry?

Jun 7, 2015 3:12 PM in response to awent0428

That 20G hard drive is around 15 years old. The age and erratic performance suggest, as Kappy says, a failing hard drive. It doesn't matter that 9.2.2 was working fine. At the very least, the Tiger installation is going to occupy different sectors and take more space than OS 9.2.2.

If you can, boot to the Tiger disc and run Disk Utility to reformat/erase the HDD. I'd erase the drive (two runs: used space and free space) throughly by overwriting it with zeroes in order to give the entire HDD a work out. I'd also expect the HDD to fail in the process. I suspect damaged sectors.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Installation Issues on iMac G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.