Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nat geo activate for apple tv

Hello

I have been trying to activate the nat geo app for a bit. I keep getting to the website but for the life of me cannot find the Dish TV logo.

Each time I click the link for "don'd see your provider" and put in my information the site tell me that Dish is supported but i am unable to find the Logo link to sign in.

I have tried on my phone and on two separate browsers for my lap top. I have also made sure that my browser software was up to date. It is.

Can one of you try this and tell me if you can find dish?

go to natgeotv.com/activate

and i can give you a current activation code....

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 6:32 PM

20 replies

Jun 8, 2015 8:51 PM in response to jjkraw

There is a way to improvise and get the buggy nat geo activation to work but you will need to have safari developer and inspect the source within the frame where the logos are shown then do a source attribute edit on the inspector source view as follows over any of the logo java source links to the following:

javascript:chooseMVPD('Dish', 'DISH', 'null', '750', '430');

Then disable "inspector" in safari developer and click over that logo which you just edited the link attribute to.

It will now take you to your DISH login page and then activate the Nat Geo TV in apple tv.

If you know or have an html developer friend whom uses safari developer they may be able to help you with this otherwise if you are handy with basic html editing using safari developer menu you should be able to do this within 1 min or less.

Hope this helps - I too was very frustrated to see they just choose not to show DISH when in fact it is in the source code within their activation page even the image is referenced but they are just choosing not to have it enabled for some reason nonetheless the above works great as if it was enabled.

Good luck.

Jun 11, 2015 6:43 PM in response to Mark Savoia

I can put together a video tutorial on how to do this but not sure if this is a smart idea on my part... 😕

Basically it seems that the activation site managed by Nat Geo is not finished or has absolutely no Q&A in place as such I am not surprised that other services are missing from their activation page.

On the flip side it may be intentional but I believe the contrary because after you submit to their link that says "service not listed" it asks if Dish and others are supported yet they do not offer it so that contradicts the it being done intentional.

Anyone with basic html knowhow and using Safari with the Developer menu enabled can improvise and activate even if the service is not listed on that activation page. Let me know and I will help you out.

Jun 17, 2015 6:44 PM in response to michaelfromhomestead

Thanks for the javascript source edit recommendation. It took me a few tries to figure out that I needed to edit the code for one of the visible logos. For clarification to others, I chose the javascript line with DirecTV in it, then replaced DTV with Dish and DIRECTV with DISH, and closed the inspector window. Then when I clicked on the DirecTV logo it took me to my Dish Network login page. Presto! I was signed in on my AppleTV :-)

Thanks Again!!!

Jun 29, 2015 9:46 PM in response to DiscoSteve74

So... I'm confused, I understand vaguely what was suggested about editing the code but I do not have safari developer (or not sure how to access website's code on Mac).

It seems from above commentary that DISH, DirecTV, Charter Communications all don't work. I've tried both DirecTV and Comcast Xfinity myself with no luck.

> Step1: enter activation code

> Step2: click "don't see your tv provider"

> enter zip, select tv provider

> pop up box says, "your provider is supported"

> click "ok" and it send me back to step 1 to start all over again (and again and again!)

Is this what happens to everybody? And the only way to solve this is to edit some code 😟 ... I have no idea how to do that. This is beyond frustrating and is literally giving me a headache.

I hope someone finds a solution for regular people... please!

Jun 29, 2015 10:37 PM in response to acbyrd

I wish I could help further on this issue, I was also very frustrated not being able to activate it myself and so I just took a closer look and was lucky able to find a workaround (technical one at that) but it works. I would suggest sending some emails to apple and to Nat Geo directly, something I did but never heard back.

It seems to be that the issue may be Nat Geo related since it is a hosted page on their end but I am not sure 100%, perhaps apple is also providing some of that activation framework...

If anyone hears back from ether apple or Nat Geo on this please post back here so hopefully this issue can be documented and at least known. By far this is the only threaded proof of this being wide spread and I am sure those not searching for this issue are just not aware that the feature is ether blocked or broken.

Jul 6, 2015 4:35 PM in response to wilkezr

I was not able to get the javascript hack to work in Safari or Firefox. I don't know what I was doing wrong. However, I seem to have gotten it to work by hacking the redirect URL:

https://sp.auth.adobe.com/api/v1/authenticate?reg_code=YOUR_CODE_HERE&noflash=true&mso_id=Dish&requestor_id=natgeo&domain_name=adobe.com&redirect_url =http://ngc-auth.nationalgeographic.com/activate%3fregCode%3dYOUR_CODE_HERE%26requestorId%3dnatgeo%26appVersion%3dApple_pc_20TV%26deviceType%3dappletv%26pr oviderName%3dDISH

Copy this exactly (including the % escapes), and replace the "YOUR_CODE_HERE" sections with the authentication code presented on the Apple TV. Paste it into your browser and submit the URL. At least, for me, I received a "Congratulations" message after doing this, so I hope it actually authenticated.

Aug 16, 2015 10:36 AM in response to robtruck

I am on Comcast. I tried a few permutations of what you
provided, along with a string that worked for AE and History, but still
failed. Here is the last one I tried

https://api.auth.adobe.com/api/v1/authenticate?reg_code=*****&noflash=true&mso_i d=Comcast_SSO&requestor_id=natgeo&domain_name=http://ngc-auth.nationalgeographic .com/activate&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.natgeotv.com%2Factivate%3Fdevice%3Dappletv

Any ideas

Thanks

Oct 11, 2015 10:17 PM in response to michaelfromhomestead

I had to re-activate my Nat Geo tonight and what I suggested previously which seemed to have worked is no longer working for me tonight. Funny thing is that the authentication code reveals that "DISH" is supported! Nonetheless it is not on the list...

With no customer support on apple or nat geo I guess we are out of luck and it *****... Error is "Unknown MVPD" So basically "DISH" is no longer on the list.

Apple support?

nat geo activate for apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.