Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't want to change my password to manage my Apple ID

I just tried to log in to manage my Apple ID. Of course, it told me I had to change my password. It tells me I have to change my password every time I log in. I am tired of changing my password. Right this second my wife is locked out of her account and my son can't remember his password. Both just bought new iPhones and of course, because they have had to repeatedly change their passwords they forgot them.

Needless to say, I am a little angry at the moment. I understand the need for security, but this isn't the Pentagon.

So, how do I manage my account without the need to change my password? Again. Thanks!

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 8:09 PM

24 replies

Jun 6, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Scubus

The easiest way to deal with this issue is as follows.

Pick a word that you will remember. For example Apple. Change the A to @, and make the first p a capital. So you have @Pple. Then add 3 digit number. So you have @Pple012. If you have to change the password, Add a digit, or simply change the last digit (Like change 012 to 013. Use the same master password, and just change a couple of letters or numbers. Whatever works for you.

They are not going to change the policy, and if anything, it will become stricter. One of the sites that I visit requires a 12 digit password that has to be changed every 60 days. You can either adopt a master password as I suggested, or invest in a password manager (like 1Pass, LastPass, or the like).

Good luck.

Jul 30, 2015 5:48 PM in response to Scubus

I completely agree. Additionally, I dont care if I'm hacked. My Apple ID is not linked to a credit card. I only download free apps.

As far as I'm concerned, if I have to change my password every 4 weeks, to @Pple089 (or wait is it @Pple090 or 091?), then "the terrorists have won."

Apple shouldn't make us more secure than we want to be. I accept the risks of my password as is. I already have 20-30 other accounts that have a password. I don't need yet another one.

Apr 21, 2016 9:13 PM in response to Scubus

Just came across this old post.

I cannot agree more.

I take my own responsibility to keep my password and Apple ID safe.

I created my Apple ID before Steve Jobs died, so yes it was kinda short but all these years I did NOT have any problem so I am NOT gonna change it which only creates MORE problems for me no matter hoe Apple thinks it is insecure.

On the iOS device it's ok, it won't bug me to change the password but on icloud.com whenever I try to login and do anything it would BUG me to change the password and would not let me do ANYTHING if I don't change it.

Enough **** from you Apple.

Now shut the **** up and just let me see my icloud photos...

May 5, 2016 1:50 PM in response to gruvdone

Then don't. Move on. It is your right. As is Apple's to make changes. Just as Google, Microsoft, Facebook et al have done.

13 years in technology terms is huge. There are security risks out there that were inconceivable 13 years ago.

If you think changing your Apple ID is an inordinate PITA, try regaining your identity or financial reputation after they have been compromised. Your need to be hassle free does not outweigh Apple's need, and now requirement, to be secure.

So, tell Apple how you feel and find another service that does not view user security as a priority.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

May 10, 2016 11:02 AM in response to LACAllen

As Gruvdone says it is a huge pain to change password and your suggestion is that he should exercise his right to change provider?!?!?

Why should he? Apple do not accept liability for anything, as I recently discovered. So why should they force unwanted changes on anyone? Why not allow customer discretion? You clearly need to grow a backbone. Instead of rolling over like a poodle and accepting whatever may be forced on you, why not question it?

What if an organisation like the EU imposed a new regulation on the UK which adversely affected you and your family? You couldn't possibly utter a word of complaint or criticism without risking being told "It's their right to impose it. If you don't like it then move on, it's your right."

You should consider moving on anyway, I think you'd enjoy living in a communist state.

And we wouldn't have to listen to your BS again...

<Edited by Host>

May 10, 2016 11:09 AM in response to nigelfromaylesbury

This... over a password?

Apple/Google/Microsoft/Facebook aren't levels of government. They sell technology. They provide nothing we have a right to. Including maintaining old passwords.

Just as you can. in a democracy, change governments if the public wills it, change technology providers if their product no longer suits you.

If you've paid attention, Apple has changed many many things over the years as they saw fit. Floppy disks, SCSI, optical drives, platter-based hard drives... all likely perceived by someone as a pita. They've no doubt lost customers as a result.

The world kept going.

May 10, 2016 12:10 PM in response to nigelfromaylesbury

Thanks Nigel - and you're spot on, his attitude is atrocious. I did end up changing my password, and it was an even bigger pain in the backside than I had anticipated. I had to re-enter the password multiple times on every single device I own, sometimes for the same 'service' as many as three times over the course of two days. Why it took that many authentications for the password to 'stick' is beyond me - but it points to a larger problem, which is the gradual erosion of user-friendliness and intuitiveness that made Apple such a draw only a few years back.

As for you, Allen... places like this allow for us end users to vent and find solidarity in our frustrations, it's cathartic. Your BS suggestion serves only to inflame, and offers nothing even remotely approaching helpful. It's called empathy, look into it, and see if you can work on being such an A-Hat.

I don't want to change my password to manage my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.