Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari wants to open static.scanscout.com but I don't have it open and its telling me its a malicious website

I was watching some videos when safari opens a window saying static.scanscout.com is a malicious website that I shouldn't open and whether or not I want to continue to the website.I checked my tabs but I didn't have it open.Did I get a virus?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 3:32 AM

This is a scam.

1. Force Quit .

Press command + option + esc keys together at the same time. Wait.

When Force Quit window appears, select Safari if not already.

Press Force Quit button at the bottom of the window. Wait.

Safari will quit.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

3. Turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Turn off Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi off”.

Visit another website.

You won’t have internet connection.

Turn on Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi on”.

Select your Network.

4. Safari > Preferences > Privacy

Cookies and website data:

Click “Details” button.

Remove the cookie related to this, if there is one.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2015 3:32 AM in response to RoughLyfe

This is a scam.

1. Force Quit .

Press command + option + esc keys together at the same time. Wait.

When Force Quit window appears, select Safari if not already.

Press Force Quit button at the bottom of the window. Wait.

Safari will quit.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

3. Turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Turn off Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi off”.

Visit another website.

You won’t have internet connection.

Turn on Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi on”.

Select your Network.

4. Safari > Preferences > Privacy

Cookies and website data:

Click “Details” button.

Remove the cookie related to this, if there is one.

Aug 12, 2015 6:20 PM in response to MacLeonardo

I was having this same issue. I also think it's related to Facebook/ or Farmville. In that dialog box, I think i clicked on "never allow" or something like that and now Facebook will not load at all... in ANY of my web browsers, Safari, Chrome, Firefox or Opera. Other sites will load, but Facebook will not load correctly, I only see Text…. what did I do??

Aug 13, 2015 6:20 AM in response to RoughLyfe

So now Facebook will not fully load in Safari or Chrome since I clicked do not trust or do not allow on this "static.scanscout.com" security certificate. It only loads the text as I have shown below, and says cookies are not enabled but they ARE. I HAVE cookies enabled. I tried different browsers, the only one that does work is Firefox. How do I fix this? My preferred browser is Safari, running v 6.2.7 Mac os 10.8.5. I can not update Safari any further unless I update my OS to Yosemite. I don't want to do that yet.

Facebook Login

Cookies Required

Cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies in your browser preferences to continue.

Sep 4, 2015 6:35 AM in response to joan mclaughlin

I think it is related to Farmville on Facebook as well. I deleted the certificate yesterday and had no issues and the prompt never came back up all day long asking to accept this certificate. Today I clicked on the green little billboard that farmville has placed on our farms to earn free farm bucks. Soon after clicking on that green board the the window came up for that certificate ( scan scout) again. I again went into keychains, deleted that certificate and played farmville and no prompt came up for a long time but as soon as I clicked that green board it started to re-appear. It ONLY happens to me on Farmville and it ONLY started once they placed that green bulletin board on our farms..So YES it is directly related/cause from that free farm bucks bulletin board.

Sep 18, 2015 3:16 PM in response to DiannaL

Your issue has absolutely nothing to do with your Mac. It's a scam website you either keep visiting, or keep getting directed to by someplace else you frequently visit on the web. If you were using Windows with the same web sites, the exact same thing would happen.

It's either that, or you've installed adware, which create tons of popup ads whenever your browser is open. Those get on your Mac by your own doing. They get installed along with other software you're trying. Really good places to get adware is from sites like C|NET's www.downloads.com, and Softonic.com.

If this is a closer fit to your description, you can either follow Apple's manual instructions for removing adware, or use the free automated tool, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.

It should be noted that Apple's manual removal instructions are typically outdated. Sometimes a lot outdated. It depends on when Apple last updated their instructions page. If you would prefer to manually remove the adware on your system, you can find much more up-to-date instructions on The Safe Mac's adware removal page.

Sep 23, 2015 5:15 AM in response to envyo

Yes but do you see ads / video's while you are playing scrabble? If so and you are getting this certificate warning for scan scout, that is the issue. It has something to do with all the ads running while playing a game also causes a plug in error.. For me it is on Farmville2..for others it could be some other game..

Safari wants to open static.scanscout.com but I don't have it open and its telling me its a malicious website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.