Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Issues with Podcasts app

Unfortunately, I am having a myriad of issues cropping up with syncing my podcasts across three devices (reduced from four). My primary device for podcasts is an iPhone 6+ with an iMac and a Macbook Pro as secondary devices. Both are running OSX 10.10.3. The majority of issues occur when I sync my iPhone to my iMac. I do have 'Sync Podcasts' select on the app (version 2.2.1).

Specific issues are:

1. On iPhone, numerous episodes in various podcasts will show up in the 'saved' section even if they've been deleted on all devices,
  2. On iPhone, duplicate podcast subscription will appear for specific podcasts. Example: three different instances of 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me' will appear after a sync.
  3. On iPhone, old episodes that were either listened to long ago or never at all will appear in my 'unplayed' section for various podcasts and begin downloading (I have 'Only New' select as my default option under 'Download Episodes'.
  4. On iMac, seemingly random historic podcasts will be downloaded.
  5. On iMac, seemingly random podcasts will be put in the saved section after downloading. Not always the same as issue 4.

These issues tend to show up on the same podcasts. I've tried deleting them from all devices, which my systems accept, and adding them back. The podcasts where the issues tend to occur on aren't part of any specific playlist, so I haven't explored deletion and adding back in that area. I've come to think that there is register or log or control file that is causing these issues, but have been unable to locate it for a reset. I also suspect that these issues are coming from the same place and located on my iMac.

Is there any register/log/control file that can be reset? Is there anyway to make one device the dominant in the chain of command? Or are there any methods to help clear up these issues?

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 7:31 AM

2 replies

Jun 30, 2015 5:08 AM in response to SKB182

I have exactly the same problem, and have been battling Podcasts for years. My instinct is that Apple don't get the whole idea at all, or have such a different idea of what I should be doing with my Podcasts that I cannot get my head (56 years old, career teaching IT) around what they want me to do.

I know about podcasts' settings (delete after play etc). I have been through ALL threads I can find. My problems are:

1. Podcasts appear multiple times on my iPhone, some having the episodes to be downloaded, some there as doubles

2. podcasts I have not set to sync appear, again multiple times in the same manner as above

3. If I edit these to delete, they reappear again

I have last week:

Deleted all podcasts

Synced the 6+ to have NO podcasts

Gone through podcasts in iTunes making sure that all 'get infos' have the same info (as you would with out of control track listings in music)

Only synced 2 to see what would happen.

To my great joy, it worked! For the first time I had some control over this astonishing weak and ridiculously poor app.

Then, 2 days later, THEY ARE ALL BACK.

I have clearly marked iTunes to only sync selected podcasts (2) and yet there are 20 different podcasts, all with some downloads, others not, and 4 of them with repeats of the same podcasts

As in the post above, there seems to be something with a list of stuff that thinks a load of material I don't actually want should be on my iPhone. Please help.

Syncing Issues with Podcasts app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.